What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yagi Wireless Antenna Connection to iPad4

MungaDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All, In rural remote areas in Australia 3G and 4G Wireless Networks have many areas where service can be in a low
service area with minimum coverage. I am considering installing a 21dBi Yagi directional antenna that Telstra sells and
by all accounts my son who has installed one attached to a 4G 320U Sierra device went from 2 bars to a full 5 bars
continued reception.

My questions are not around the antenna so much more around the connection between a wireless antenna via the coax
cable through to the connection to the iPad4 and (second question) if this can be done, will the iPad pick up the wireless
connection.

If the above cannot be done, what do people recommend???

Regards Maurie

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 247820

Can Teltra tell you how to connect the aerial via an adapter to a WiFi modem router.
The iPad will pickup on the router Wifi.
If you find another way please post the method.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the iPad forums Maurie, the largest and best iPad forum anywhere, with over 295,000 members worldwide. Many of our membership volunteer their time to help their fellow members with answers to their questions and solutions to their problems. If a search of the forums doesn't provide the answer you need, don't hesitate to post your question in the appropriate forum. We also have this tutorial to help you get full use from the iPad forums app. http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...sistance/107524-ipad-forums-app-tutorial.html We ask that all members take the time to review the Forum rules before posting.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Hi from Brissy!

I've moved your thread to our Help Section where you will receive a better response.

OP
MungaDog

MungaDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Hi from Brissy!

I've moved your thread to our Help Section where you will receive a better response.

Thanks for that. The connection isn't a Telstra problem and they can't solve it as one other person suggested, it's an issue from a design issue where I am sure will come up in the future. I understand I can buy a 3G4G router, plug that into an external aerial (which I may have to do in the short term) but is really around designing a connection that a 32 pin lightning plug and the standard apple iPad cable will work connected to an external. It's getting someone to know what pin in the 32 pin connection would marry up to the wireless connection in the iPad4, if of course that's at all possible. Perhaps this might be an opportunity for me too design one and sell it...who knows!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for that. The connection isn't a Telstra problem and they can't solve it as one other person suggested, it's an issue from a design issue where I am sure will come up in the future. I understand I can buy a 3G4G router, plug that into an external aerial (which I may have to do in the short term) but is really around designing a connection that a 32 pin lightning plug and the standard apple iPad cable will work connected to an external. It's getting someone to know what pin in the 32 pin connection would marry up to the wireless connection in the iPad4, if of course that's at all possible. Perhaps this might be an opportunity for me too design one and sell it...who knows!

There is no antenna pin in the iPad's port. Neither the older 30 pin nor the new Lightning connectors support an external antenna. To connect an external antenna to the iPad you'd have to open the device and wire directly. A risky warrantee breaking operation.

That is why it would be far better to buy a device that supports an external antenna, use that to set up a local wi-fi network, and connect your iPad to that the normal way.

While wi-fi routers with external antenna ports are fairly common, I'm not sure about cellular to wi-fi routers. (like a MyFi hotspot but with an antenna port). I don't recall seeing any, but I have not been searching either.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts