What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WD TV Live

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I spent some time working with the WD TV live last night. I like this thing. Easy to use Netflix, Youtube, Spotify and play movies. I did play several .ISO and mkvs..all of them worked fine until I got to Avatar...then at some point, things went nuts...and the video and sound got out of sync. I had to restart the device afterwards to get any other movie to play correctly. I am attributing this -- until I can disprove it -- to the 100 Mbps networking. There are some high-bit rate movies that demand a bigger pipe than 100 Mbps. I think The Dark Knight is another. I was able to get through two other recent blockbuster films and a concert BD with no problems.

I do notice that this won't pass thru DTS-HD Master Audio....it only sees DTS and my AV receiver won't flag it as HD MA. It does pass through TrueHD in 8 channels. I'd love to be wrong on this, however. I'm keeping this little box because 1) it only cost $40 and 2) it's a nice backup player if my other players are down. I'm thinking of making up my 3 blu-ray players and selling them.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I just had a look and it looks like it's not available in the UK yet!!!

The Archangel

Once I get mine and have had a bit of time to play with it, I'll start a thread on it like you did with this one.

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once I get mine and have had a bit of time to play with it, I'll start a thread on it like you did with this one.

I'll look forward to reading it, I'll decide if I should buy one when they eventually release it over here after I've read your review.

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey wing,

I'm going to start a new thread in this same subforum and move all of the xbmc ports over there. Then we can talk more about stuff like using xbmc on iOS and using airplay in xbmc. Also, the WD TV live stuff will stay intact.

Last edited:

batty505

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the wd live media hub.

It's ok. It lets me use my tv to display content. My big issue is it wont support flv files natively.
But I'm switching to Apple TV soon.

Most reactions