What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

XSysInfo

OP
Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - you make a good point 'especially with the iPad1'. Maybe it's an attempt by Apple to get us to all purchase iPad2s.....:(

Tim

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
I already did (and was coming here to tell about it).

Fortunately, have the iTunes backup...

Wonder why they removed it?

Anyway, thanks for the warning.

Marilyn

I did a lot of updates yesterday and I must have done this update then, i've always just pressed the Update All Button. I have a backup too. Can u tell me how to do this please

Thanks for the info Tim.

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I unfortunately updated this before reading about what the update did. GRRR. Is there a way I can restore to the previous version?

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Tim. It's the backup part I'm not clear on. I have backed up through iTunes. Can just this app be restored?

OP
Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - that shouldn't be a problem. I'm 'out of the door' in the next couple of minutes, so I'll leave it to more experienced Members to help - but PM me if you don't get a response.

Tim

OP
Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of our most experienced posters, twerp poet, knows all about this - he'll be around soon, he lives on the US West Coast - so he should be awake by now!!

Tim

ColtsSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mattmilw said:
I unfortunately updated this before reading about what the update did. GRRR. Is there a way I can restore to the previous version?

The way I did it was to delete xsysinfo FO on the iPad and then connect to my computer. After the sync you just go to your apps (on the computer) and select the xsysinfo box to be re-synced.

Now, can anyone tell me how to get my iPad to ignore the update needed prompt?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mattmilw said:

The way I did it was to delete xsysinfo FO on the iPad and then connect to my computer. After the sync you just go to your apps (on the computer) and select the xsysinfo box to be re-synced.

Now, can anyone tell me how to get my iPad to ignore the update needed prompt?

That's the process I did (delete the "new" version off the iPad, then sync the old version off of iTunes).

On a stock iPad, there is no way to stop the App Store from telling you [always!] about the upgrade. You're going to be stuck with that badge...

On a jailbroke iPad, you can modify the iTunes .plist file for XSysInfo. Then, the App Store won't know you have it on your iPad and so will not tell you to upgrade.

Marilyn

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In my iTunes it must overwrites the backup with a newer version.There is only ever one backup for me to choose. At the moment I darn't siync in case I lose my backup, being new to my IMac I don't know where my backup file is.

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On a jailbroke iPad, you can modify the iTunes .plist file for XSysInfo. Then, the App Store won't know you have it on your iPad and so will not tell you to upgrade.

Marilyn

I've done as described, and now have my backed up version of XSysinfo installed. Thanks for the guidance.

I am jailbroken, and would like to know more about how to edit the .plist file.
Can someone kindly point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please note the following is a "DO AT YOUR OWN RISK" deal. This is what I did on my iPad and in my iTUnes and I accepted the consequences of what might happen. I will not guarantee this will work on your iPad/iTunes, nor will I guarantee this will not cause your iPad/iTunes to behave erratically.

Actually, there are two things you can do. The first one applies to all - you don't have to be jailbroke. The second one you can do if you are jailbroke ... if you want to.

The first thing to do is to save a backup copy of the XSysInfo .ips file somewhere other than in iTunes (the old version - 1.4.4). Just in case...

In addition, these are instructions for a Windows machine (I don't know if it'll work the same on a Mac). Specifically, these directions worked on my Windows 7 with iTunes 10.3.1.55. Oh, and thanks go to Elit3, who discovered the process. So, without further ado:

1. Be in iTunes
2. Click on Apps (in left column)
3. Scroll to and then right click on XsysInfo (in the right side area)
4. Select "Show in Windows Explorer"
5. Copy the XSysInfo.ipa to your desktop
6. Right click on it and select "Open with"
7. Open file with winrar, winzip, 7zip, etc., something so you can see all the files (WinRAR archiver is what I used…)
8. Open the iTunesMetadata.plist with Plist Editor (a free program for Windows; found on the 'Net)
9. Search for the phrase itemID
10. Delete all the numbers except one in the line under itemID in between <integer>[delete all but one number here]</integer>
11. Leave one number remaining (any number, doesn't matter which one)
12. Save the file in place
13. Double click the new .ipa
14. When iTunes as if you wish to sync or replace the old version with the new, select yes
15. Done! No more update badge (iTunes will no longer show XSysInfo as needing an update)

Or, for the jailbroke people, you can change the itemID in iFile (or do both, if you wish):

Go to /var/mobile/Applications/XSysInfo and open the iTunesMetadata.plist file using iFile's built-in Property List Viewer.

Scroll down until you find the line itemID. On the right side, you will see a bunch of numbers. Remove all the numbers but one. Doesn't matter what number is there, so long as there is only one. Then, respring the iPad.

That's it. The App Store will no longer see this app (in fact, it'll show it as not installed on the iPad). And - the badge for that upgrade will be gone...

Let me know if any step is confusing...

Marilyn

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I went the iFile route. Everything seems happy. I'm happy. Thank you very much.

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess I'm not there yet. I keep getting the update badge on the App Store icon. If I go in and check for updates, it says there are none, and it clears the badge. At some point it returns. It's happened several times, and I can't draw a conclusion as to what I was doing to trigger it.

Most reactions

Latest posts