What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Xlr microphones

Blastingas10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently purchased the apple camera connection kit for my midi keyboard, so I decided I'd try to connect my USB mic with it. It works, but it's a crappy mic so I sounds like ****.

I've been doing some research and I've come across this iRig Pre. I'm wondering if anyone has tried it and if there is anything similar to it out there, preferably something that is USB powered.

I'm also wondering if anyone has hooked up a xlr mic to their apogee jam. According to apogee, it will work unless the mic requires phantom power. Are there any good xlr mics our there that don't require phantom power?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blastingas10 said:
I recently purchased the apple camera connection kit for my midi keyboard, so I decided I'd try to connect my USB mic with it. It works, but it's a crappy mic so I sounds like ****.

I've been doing some research and I've come across this iRig Pre. I'm wondering if anyone has tried it and if there is anything similar to it out there, preferably something that is USB powered.

I'm also wondering if anyone has hooked up a xlr mic to their apogee jam. According to apogee, it will work unless the mic requires phantom power. Are there any good xlr mics our there that don't require phantom power?

As I recall, the Sure SM58 doesn't require phantom power.....and IMHO, for a mic you can't do a great deal better despite it not really being a studio mic.

As far as other interfaces Behringer do some mixing desk docks, as do Mackie and Alesis, they all have XLR, midi, etc inputs.

Oh, and please remember that we are a family friendly forum so your descriptive words should be thought out a little better.

The Archangel

OP
B

Blastingas10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do apologize for my language. I'm used to forums where it's acceptable as long as you don't override the swear-bot.

So, the alesis IO dock has an xlr input? I wish I knew that before I bought my apogee jam. Sounds like it would have been well worth the extra 70 dollars.

I see that the cablejive connects via headphone jack, but how is it powered? I didn't see anything about that in the product description.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no power other than what comes off the headphone jack of the iDevice. With the Cablejive, you plug the XLR end into the mic, then you plug headphones into the other jack, and the stereo plug into the iDevice. That's it.

OP
B

Blastingas10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds good. How's the sound quality of the shure pg58? I'd be using it mainly for acoustic guitar.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds good. How's the sound quality of the shure pg58? I'd be using it mainly for acoustic guitar.

I don't really think it sounds all that good...you might want to go with another model.

I was just thinking that the mic might sound better with some amplification.

Last edited:
OP
B

Blastingas10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buying a mic is something I'm really afraid of. I don't wanna spend 50 dollars on a mic and have it sound as bad as the ipad mic. I guess that's why I should make sure and get it somewhere that had a good return policy.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Blastingas10 said:
Buying a mic is something I'm really afraid of. I don't wanna spend 50 dollars on a mic and have it sound as bad as the ipad mic. I guess that's why I should make sure and get it somewhere that had a good return policy.

If I start using a store I've never used before, that's the first thing I ask. I was once in a store returning a webcam that wasn't compatible with my OS. Their attitude, even though I'd spent thousands of dollars in there on computer systems for my company, was "Tough luck. You bought it. It's your problem." Eventually, and after seeing just how nasty, loud and foul-mouthed I can become (I even shocked myself that day), they refunded my cash, but remarked that it was a one-off, and wouldn't happen again. Too damned right. I've never been in there since. I found a new store, asked what their return policy was and decided they were my new supplier. What works in IT works everywhere else too. Good luck with the mike.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blastingas10 said:

We have used SM58's for recording work, not the best designed tool for the job but as a jack of all trades there isn't much better. You might want to look at the Blue Mic range, we have a Blue Snowball tucked away which we haven't used yet but it is USB.....the one thing with Blue is the quality of the kit is always great.

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I bought it from Amazon and to be honest, I should have sent it back (and they would have let me)...but I got distracted on something or other. This review, copied from Amazon, seems to pinpoint my issue:

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
stars-3-0._V192240710_.gif
Pretty good starter mike, January 2, 2011
By
movingwordsandimages

This review is from: Shure PG58-XLR Cardioid Dynamic Vocal Microphone with XLR-to-XLR Cable (Electronics)
I used this mike for a really long while, to practice vocals at home for a spoken word and music project I was doing for a couple years. It's a Shure so it's good! But when you upgrade eventually to, say, the legendary SM58 or any of the Beta models, you will notice a SIGNIFICANT boost in power... Consider these other options if you're looking to record or perform for a live audience. Still, the PG58 is definitely great as an intro mike. And probably the best for the price!

BTW, the reason I mentioned this in the first place was for the XLR issue, not this mic. If I had to do it over again, I think I would try the SM58 as the Archangel is suggesting. :)

Also, I'm still not 100% sure I'm getting the most out of this mic yet.

OP
B

Blastingas10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm really looking for something under 100 dollars, but I guess if you have two mics, one for 50 and one for 100, it'd be worth just another 50 dollars for something good.

ging

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure, but isn't the SM58 primarily a vocal mic? I think the SM57 is more the one to have for mic'ing an acoustic guitar. Anyway, wherever you buy gear, check to see if the retailer has a 30-day no quibble return policy. Most of the majors do.

Ronaldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the SM57 as well to record guitar and drums. It's a good mic.
If you know anybody that works at your local Guitar Center, ask them to buy one for you.
They get a decent discount :)

rustymayday

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was going through the same deal when I got my iPad last year, wanted to plug in a mic as well. Sad to say not too many USB mics sound all that good for the sub $100 price range... I ended up demoing a Apogee MiC at a store near me and fell in love. Big solid sound and a really nicely built mic and you don't even need a Camera connection kit to use it! Which made me happy. It was $200 but I'd say it sounds better than a lot of the other choices. I've also heard good thing about the Blue Mics Spark Digital. Thats my two cents.

Most reactions

Latest posts