What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WSJ Live app

Mopepom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just installed WSJ Live from the app store onto my jail broken iPad1 with IOS 4.3.3. Unfortunately there is no sound from the app. The sound does work on YouTube videos and Internet radio. There must be a setting somewhere for this - but I can't find it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had a couple of connection problems with the WSJ app recently. Deleting it and re-installing has fixed these but I have not experienced the no sound problem. I just double checked and sound is fine on my side.

OP
Mopepom

Mopepom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
Just make sure it is not muted.

Thanks Graywolf. You were right. I have used the little switch with the orange/red spot to LOCK the orientation - ever since May 2010.
I don't think I have ever seen any reference to it's use to MUTE. The fix is trivial, but the logic of using the same switch for tablet functions that are not mutually in conflict has to be questioned.

Bu now it is working and I will just have to watch my orientation. (landscape, I mean). :)

MOPEPOM

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good.
It's always the mute switch. You can change the switch to a rotation lock. That way you don't bump it and mute.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The fix is trivial, but the logic of using the same switch for tablet functions that are not mutually in conflict has to be questioned.
MOPEPOM

I think you are misunderstanding. The switch can be set by you, the user, in Settings. It does not perform BOTH functions. It only performs either / or mute and rotation lock, whichever is your preference. IF you set it to mute, then the rotation lock toggle can be found in the switcher if you swipe the multitasking bar to the right when it appears (it is on the left hand side beside the iPod controls).
IF on the other hand you choose it to be the rotation lock switch, then the mute toggle appears on the left hand side of the iPod controls.

Hope that helps.

cdever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just done the install for WSJ live and like your experience get no sound. Nothing is muted on my Ipad, have 8 or 9 apps that play sound fine. Did an uninstall and re-install and that didn't fix it. Assuming their content is free but wondering if there is some type of subscription required that provides full functionality. Anything to report that got your sound working?

cdever

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just done the install for WSJ live and like your experience get no sound. Nothing is muted on my Ipad, have 8 or 9 apps that play sound fine. Did an uninstall and re-install and that didn't fix it. Assuming their content is free but wondering if there is some type of subscription required that provides full functionality. Anything to report that got your sound working?

cdever

Still sounds like you may have mute on. Did you check? Mute does not mean what you think it means on an iPad. Not everything gets muted when it is turned on. Double check. I would almost certainly bet you have turned it on by accident.

cdever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never did get sound to work with the earlier version of WSJ live. An updated version was put on I tunes around 10/25 that includes among other fixes "volume issues". This new version works fine. Heard nothing from WSJ tech support after 10 days.

Most reactions