What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Writepad + what stylus?

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really want to purchase writepad and use a stylus with it to take notes. What has been your experience using writepad with a stylus and what stylus did you use?

DDustiNN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

haggisgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use WritePad along with a Stylus-R-Us stylus to take notes during conference calls and meetings. I have found that over time, the Writepad's handwriting recognition has improved and believe me, I have crummy handwriting. I like the fact that I can take notes during meetings and with very few corrections, have them ready to email to my employer rather than having to send him my somewhat illegible notes or take the time to type them up.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just watched a video review of WritePad and the guy said the handwriting recognition isn't always 100%... his estimate was that it works about 80% of the time. *
That video review was made by a person with little experience of the app, in my opinion.

I've grown to really like WritePad. Just remember that it's not perfect and that you've got to spend some time with it. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to anyone who is a fast typist (not me! I can already produce text faster with WritePad than I can by typing!

Pogo Stylus....about 14 bucks *just search google or ebay
An inferior stylus. Many people here would recommend Targus/Griffin (same pen, different name), BoxWave or the Roger Iwand.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Pogo and Targus. I hugely prefer the Targus with the rubber tip. Hands down in fact. I got the Pogo almost a year ago for use with my iPhone when it was the only stylus available. It's okay, but the Targus is smoother. A lot of people seem to like the Roger Iwand too. I can't speak to that one.

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zorah said:
I have the Pogo and Targus. I hugely prefer the Targus with the rubber tip. Hands down in fact. I got the Pogo almost a year ago for use with my iPhone when it was the only stylus available. It's okay, but the Targus is smoother. A lot of people seem to like the Roger Iwand too. I can't speak to that one.

I hugely agree. I have a Griffin I got on Amazon, and I love it. Use it for everything, not just writing.

No smudges my iPad :d

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't comment on WritePad, as I haven't used it, but I can vouch for the SRU Roger iWand. I also have a Pogo and once I started using the Roger iWand the pogo went back into the box and I haven't used it since! There is a leaning curve with the Roger and a little maintenance but it is a great stylus! I also have a 4" SRU stylus and the SRU Red Corvette which is a classic pen, as classy as any actual pen I have purchased from the Levenger catalog.

OP
S

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
chowdown said:
That video review was made by a person with little experience of the app, in my opinion.

I've grown to really like WritePad. Just remember that it's not perfect and that you've got to spend some time with it. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to anyone who is a fast typist (not me! I can already produce text faster with WritePad than I can by typing!

An inferior stylus. Many people here would recommend Targus/Griffin (same pen, different name), BoxWave or the Roger Iwand.

Thanks for your review I may step out and pay 10 bucks for the app.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zorah said:

I hugely agree. I have a Griffin I got on Amazon, and I love it. Use it for everything, not just writing.

No smudges my iPad :d

Yep. Same thing, just re-branded. I like it very much. Quite smooth.

NEWPORT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lets make sure we are talking about IPAD versus IPHONE

The rubber tip on some sticks to the IPAD, and that is where the POGO is better

Stylus personal preference....still need to find a good handwriten recog ap

bimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When it comes to stylus, i've used both the Pogo Sketch and the Boxwave Capacitative Stylus, i have to say that i love my boxwave stylus. It's pricey, but very responsive and durable. I noted that another forum member mentioned that stylus with rubber tips can get sticky on iPad, i've experienced the same, but it's really due to (1) iPad screen is dirty or (2) rubber tip of stylus is dirty. The gradual pile up of oil from fingers on the ipad screen can cause this, simple cleaning of screen and stylus tip will solve this.

I use my iPad for taking notes in meetings, so i've tested quite a few handwriting note taking apps - Penultimate, WritePad, Note Taker. I like WritePad, but realize it does take time to get the character recognition properly adjsted to my style of handwriting, unfortunately dont have time to keep at it. On the other hand, i love Note Taker, especially since you can resize the writing to fit the lines. My only wish is that they had folders to store groups of notes, or have separate notebooks like Penultimate, for easier organization.

Djdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JohnLande said:
I really want to purchase writepad and use a stylus with it to take notes. What has been your experience using writepad with a stylus and what stylus did you use?

Another vote for the Targus. Only $10 at sears.com. Totally worth it.

Most reactions

Latest posts