What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you do your on line banking on iPad?

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do online banking...mostly bill pay. I don't know if I'd do it if the iPad was jailbroken though.

Ltapilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WIFI or 3g?
How secure is your WIFI connection? Would you use your lap for online backing?
Would you use your 3g phone for online banking?
If you answered yes then go for it. In you answered no then off to the bank you go.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Yes, its as secure if not more secure that using your computer/laptop.

I wouldnt however use either the ipad or a laptop on an unknown wifi hotspot like the free hotspots at a coffe shop or the airport. Someone could be monitoring those.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I would use online bill pay. I downloaded an app from the Appstore from my bank and I am pretty confident that I can pay all my bills securely. I do not see any difference between my Ipad over secure wiFi and a laptop over the same network.

theipadstudent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.theipadstudentexperiment.com
I definitely do my banking on my iPad - even online bill pay on both secured and unsecured wifi networks. It's the same internet whether you're on an iPad of laptop, but the difference is that there are no key logging programs that can run in the background on the iPad like on a laptop or other computer to steal your passwords or credit card numbers when you type them in.

You can even do your banking on an unsecured (open) wifi network as long as the banking site you're dealing with has a secure SSL connection. It's indicated by "https://" at the beginning of the site's URL or a little padlock icon will appear at the top of the Safari window on the iPad/iPhone. Even if you're on an open network, the data you exchange between the banking site and your computer is encrypted, so no need to worry. Just make sure your know what to look for to ensure you have a secure connection.

nbg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We use it for banking very often on our secure home WI-FI.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WIFI or 3g?
How secure is your WIFI connection? Would you use your lap for online backing?
Would you use your 3g phone for online banking?
If you answered yes then go for it. In you answered no then off to the bank you go.

I use my desktop all the time for on line banking. So what is the difference, is that what you are saying?

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can even do your banking on an unsecured (open) wifi network as long as the banking site you're dealing with has a secure SSL connection.

Now this is interesting. And yes, my bank does have a secure SSL connection. Tell me something, how do I know if my wifi is secure here at home?

I have comcast.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I probably won't do online banking because I jailbreaked my iPad. It's probably ok, but I am not willing to take the risk. That's just one of the downsides to jailbreaking a device. It's less secure.

theipadstudent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.theipadstudentexperiment.com
You can even do your banking on an unsecured (open) wifi network as long as the banking site you're dealing with has a secure SSL connection.

Now this is interesting. And yes, my bank does have a secure SSL connection. Tell me something, how do I know if my wifi is secure here at home?

I have comcast.

There's a difference between having a secure connection to a website through an SSL connection and having a secure wifi network, so I don't mean to have any confusion when I talk about the two. A wifi connection can be secured through encryption such as WEP, WPA, or WPA2. To see if your home wifi connection is secured, a padlock icon will appear next to your wifi network's SSID (name) in the wifi listing of your settings app on the iPad. If it's not secure, I suggest you encrypt it using either WPA or WPA2 (WEP is easy to get around) and use a good password. How to encrypt your wifi, however, will take a visit to the manufacturer's website that makes your router.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No I wouldn't. I need something a lot quicker along with multitasking. The iPad wouldn't keep up with all my bills :D:D:D

Most reactions

Latest posts