What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would tasks run in the background?

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After a task is started with an app, another app is switched in by pressing the home button to close or minimise the app. Will the task keep running? In other words, is there such thing as background task with apps on iPad or minimising an app?

At this point in time I specifically referring to download or synchronisation with app such as HTML Presenter. However, comments in general would also be appreciated.

Will task keep going after the iPad has gone to sleep?

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In general, the process will not continue running. It will be frozen at the point at which you pressed the home button. Unless the memory space is overwritten by more apps, it will resume at that point when you restart it.

Some apps, such as Music, will continue to run, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks! So it is not as versatile as I had supposed, one task at a time.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
healer said:
Thanks! So it is not as versatile as I had supposed, one task at a time.

I guess not. In fact, what we continually refer to as the multitask bar would more properly be called the recently used list, as very few apps in there are actually doing anything but occupying memory.

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Imho multitasking is a little bit overrated in tablets/phones. Most of the time you will be performing one task at a time so the suspend & resume scheme works pretty good (switching among opened apps is not multitasking "per se"). There are a few cases where multitasking privileges are granted: audio playback, notifications, GPS/location services, itunes, voip and networking (syncing, checking, downloading...) Those processes can be performed on the background while you actively use another app on the foreground as long as the app to be backgrounded is properly designed to and fits in one of the mentioned cases.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess not. In fact, what we continually refer to as the multitask bar would more properly be called the recently used list, as very few apps in there are actually doing anything but occupying memory.

I am afraid I don't follow what you mean. What multitask bar are you referring to?

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are a few cases where multitasking privileges are granted: audio playback, notifications, GPS/location services, itunes, voip and networking (syncing, checking, downloading...)

Thanks for your opinion. Now I hope the HTML Presenter I use would fulfill what you say when I sync the files from the Dropbox.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
healer said:
I am afraid I don't follow what you mean. What multitask bar are you referring to?

Double click the home button. The screen pulls up to reveal the multitask bar. Apple refers is as the shelf.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Double click the home button. The screen pulls up to reveal the multitask bar. Apple refers is as the shelf.

Are you referring to iPad? So you must be referring to pressing the home button twice which brings up a row of recently used app icons on the bottom. Is that what you call multitask bar? I don't know if it is call the shelf. I am not an Apple person.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
healer said:
Are you referring to iPad? So you must be referring to pressing the home button twice which brings up a row of recently used app icons on the bottom. Is that what you call multitask bar? I don't know if it is call the shelf. I am not an Apple person.

Yes, I am referring to the iPad. Yes, most people call it the multitask bar, some people call it the recently used app bar, Apple calls it the shelf as it is underneath the frequently used apps bar or favorite bar.

image-77822450.jpg

Home screen

image-1139477063.jpg

Here is the multitask bar or shelf

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts