What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would iPad replace my Kindle?

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not used my nook since I bought my iPad in June. Like many others I do most of my reading in bed at night so direct sunlight was never an issue. E ink is great, but in a dimly lit room or at night I always had to use my m-edge light so I prefer the iPads LCD screen over E ink and external light source.

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, my iPad doesn't replace my Kindle. The backlighting kills my eyes and I read a lot.

I love them both, just for different things.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Kindle is slow and more clunky than the iPad....HOWEVER the Kindle can be read outside and that is where it blows the iPad right into orbit.

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After being so happy with the Kindle for many months, I barely touch it now that I have an iPad. I have all the Amazon books I order sent to the iPad now and enjoy reading them there much more. The print is clearer, I can read in double-page format, adjust the brightness, and the cover, pictures, and highlighting are in color. If you want an amazing magazine experience, check out Esquire on the iPad. I'm sorry to say that the Kindle just doesn't cut it anymore. The iPad is the way of the future for reading e-books in my view.

dogxa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well, reading on kindle or ipad is a convenient thing for all , but which always make my eyes uncomfortable, so, i prefer the print book ~ for me , i am not a e-read hobbyist but a movie enthusiast, so i get a ipad , i can enjoy any videos with my free ipad video edit software .But for most e-reader , Kindle is a professional e-reader~ It's cheaper, lighter, and easier to read than the iPad ~ but if you want to play games ,send email,surf the internet , watch a movie , you need to choose ipad, which will depend on one's personal preferences !

dh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 2 cents:

When I really want to read I use the Kindle. They are very easy on the eyes. Many people I know read for hours on the IPad, but I work on a computer a lot and when I want to read it is nice to be away from the IPad or comp screen I grab the kindle.

I grow weary of the comparison. It is like comparing a Vespa and an F150. They do some similar things, but are radically different tools that do what they are made for well.

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The answer about the newspapers and magazines for now is NO. However, I read somewhere that Amazon was going to allow these items, before the first of the year. I certainly hope so. LOL
I'm going to guess that newspapers will soon come to the Ipad Kindle app. as I just got a update on My droidX Kindle app that now allows newspapers. Why android before Iphone has to make me wonder if Android is now out selling the Iphones so now gets the priority treatment.

Kargurin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 2 cents:

When I really want to read I use the Kindle. They are very easy on the eyes. Many people I know read for hours on the IPad, but I work on a computer a lot and when I want to read it is nice to be away from the IPad or comp screen I grab the kindle.

I grow weary of the comparison. It is like comparing a Vespa and an F150. They do some similar things, but are radically different tools that do what they are made for well.

Just got the Kindle a week ago. Love it....I do all my reading on it now.

Tasty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both, and use them both , all of your kindle books will down load to iPad after you down load the kindle app.I still purchase books from my kindle because it is cheaper and they have tons of books that will also download on your iPad. As far as magazines and newspaper by the beginning of next month they will download to your iPad. :) I am happy with both hope this helps.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ive never found my kindle slow nor clunky.

You should load the Kindle app on you iPad. It's a much nicer reading experience. The screen refresh blows the e-ink display away. But the iPad weighs a TON compared to the Kindle, and the display can't be read in direct sunlight.

Lorrix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the most recent generation Kindle, and while I know I can read on the Ipad and while I do have the Kindle app installed on it, the amount of reading I do during the week for school and for pleasure makes it absolute murder to read too long on the Ipad. I just can't take the back-lit screen for much longer than a chapter or I'll get a headache.

The Kindle is so much more pleasant for me to read on. There are a few games on it, as well. It fits easily in my purse, which I can't really do with the Ipad. The Kindle is smaller...sized more like a real book for me, and is lighter.

I like them both, use them both, but for very different things.

lenwest

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife has the Kindle and loves it. I like my iPad. Although we share one Amazon Kindle account, allowing all books to appear on both devices, she can put her Kindle in her purse and read at the hair dresser, dentist, wherever. Also, it's great for reading in bright sunlight. In addition the Kindle holds a charge for about a week. Both great devices, with different pluses and minuses. I wouldn't trade her though.

dingster1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plan on using my iPad to supplement my Kindle. I put all the reference books I'm using on my Kindle and will make notes/outlines on my iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts