What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would 16GB for iPad be enough for me ?

nicolabc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether to get the 16GB or 32GB iPad, especially since I heard that iPad apps take more space than iPhone/iPod. Right now I have a 32GB iPod Touch 4thGen and it's quite full but that's cause I have 1000s of songs and many apps I don't use. I won't put music on the iPad and I'll have about 20-30 apps, that's enough. I'll also probably put some books on it from the Kindle app, some photo albums (maybe 500 photos), and I'll put a movie and a season of tv series for when I go abroad.
I know I should get the most I can afford, but I don't think I saved up enough for a 32GB.
And do apps for iPad really take much more space than iPhone apps?
Thanks for any answers.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Buy the largest size you can afford, and you will fill it all up.... I wish I had 128g

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
16 GB won't be enough. On my iPad 2 16 GB I don't store pictures and videos or play music. I use about 50 apps (none of them games), and there are only 3 GB left.

You should try to get 32 GB or even more.

Last edited:

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you have an iPod with 32g and it's still not enough, how much more if you buy an iPad with only 16g right? I agree with them. Buy the largest capacity.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Too much is way better than too little. To my mind, spending $500 for too little storage is more of a waste than spending $600 for too much storage. In fact, you can NEVER have too much storage. Even if all you do is store photos you like, that is worth the extra bucks. You should like someone who will use the device, too.

JosephBFischer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could go with the 16, except for storing the movie and the TV series for viewing over seas. Video takes up huge amounts of space. High def video takes up even more space. In my opinion, the extra memory is only worth it if watching video that is stored on your iPad is a high priority for you. (Or for someone that wants to have a huge music collection available on their iPad, which is not your situation.)

In the US, low cost or free high speed Wi-Fi is almost everywhere. I can watch movies and TV shows with Hulu, and not have to use up my memory storing them. I can also listen to music stored in "the Cloud" or just listen to Pandora. My photos are available in an online photo album as well.

I have 1,400 photos, 120 apps and dozens of eBooks on my iPad. Out of my 16 GB, 14 GB are used, and 2 GB are still available. If I start to run out of space, I'll just delete some photos and some apps.

When 32 GB memory chips cost just a few dollars, I can't see paying $200 or $300 more for extra memory. You could also try loading movies onto your iPad from an SD memory card using the Camera Adapter. It is designed to load photos and video from a digital camera, but there might be a work around to allow you to load movies and TV shows, especially if they are not copy protected. Some, but not all, USB memory sticks also work with the Camera Adapter. The files need to be in a directory called DCIM. It's is definitely something that should be thoroughly tested before you leave on your trip! But if you, or a techie friend can figure this out, you would have an extra $100, or $200 to spend on your trip.

By the way, the Camera Adapter also lets you plug in an ordinary USB computer keyboard, if you need to do a lot of typing.

I

Icarus75

16GB is enough for me, but I haven't downloaded any media yet, and I don't have too many apps.

Considering that you're likely to want to store a lot of data on your iPad, I suggest that you buy the largest capacity possible.

Daniel Jones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.kiwitech.com
16 GB is not sufficient if you want to store media over it, since you have 32 GB iPod full I will suggest you to go for 64 GB one.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
16 GB can work but it will require very selective management on your part. I still think people like huge amounts of storage in some ways just because it lets you be lazy. Just cram everything onto the iPad and never worry about it. Even though a bunch of it could be deleted or at least swapped for other items like new songs or photos. It's the video that's the killer. I just use streaming services for that and never have an issue. I understand that travelers may not have that option but other than that, you can manage the iPad better to help avoid storage issues. Think of how many apps people have but don't use? Tons of them. Delete the darned things. You can always get them back if you miss them!

If you have the money, get more storage of course. But not everyone does and people have to realize that $100 bucks is a LOT to some of us!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have the money, get more storage of course. But not everyone does and people have to realize that $100 bucks is a LOT to some of us!

I think it's safe to say we all realize that people have diff means. When it comes to other people's money, I figure that's their business. I make my decisions based on what I'd reasonably need if I were to buy something, and if I don't have enough, I just don't buy or wait till prices come down or I can save more.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say we all realize that people have diff means. When it comes to other people's money, I figure that's their business. I make my decisions based on what I'd reasonably need if I were to buy something, and if I don't have enough, I just don't buy or wait till prices come down or I can save more.

Can't argue with that. :)

neenaiphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don;t think you need that much of space or you should spend that much money most of the services like skydrive and dropbox allow you to save files online so you can access your music from anywhere even 32 GB will be good for music and apps you are running going for 128GB will be only waste of money in my opinion rest is all upto you to decide.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a 16GB iPad 3 and so far I'm doing good as far as the apps and music that I want.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a 16GB iPad 3 and so far I'm doing good as far as the apps and music that I want.

My teenage daughter seems to be getting along fine with 16gb. If anything it has taught her to manage storage properly which isn't a bad thing. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts