What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

worth upgradeing?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You only need to ask yourself two questions.

1) Can you afford to?

2) Will the doubling of the resolution be helpful?

thewaffle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've pondered the thought over and over. I don't care about the camera as I never use it, or video for that matter. I play the simplest games that don't require any graphics power, and LTE is not a concern of mine. So basically assuming I could get $325 for my current IPAD 2 on Craigslist I would have to justify paying an additional $175 for beautiful screen. I may just wait for the next generation - however the problem with that is by then my IPAD will severely decrease in value.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've pondered the thought over and over. I don't care about the camera as I never use it, or video for that matter. I play the simplest games that don't require any graphics power, and LTE is not a concern of mine. So basically assuming I could get $325 for my current IPAD 2 on Craigslist I would have to justify paying an additional $175 for beautiful screen. I may just wait for the next generation - however the problem with that is by then my IPAD will severely decrease in value.

Your last point has a lot of validity. And the best opinion I can give on it is, watch what the iPad (1st Gen) does for the next two weeks. Especially since the iPad (2nd Gen) will still be an in-production product with a reduced price point. This should give you the best case "crystal ball" and allow you to make an informed choice.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is widely believed that Apple tries to design upgrades to be most attractive to those with two year old models. If I had an iPad 2, I would probably wait until the 4th generation. Since I have one of the first iPads, I am looking at going to a new model and handing down my old model. One thing to remember is that battery life is finite. Even with the best of care, the battery will start to fail after a few years, so there is only so long that it is worth keeping a model.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I wonder what it costs to replace the battery on the orig or the model 2?

Well, take a look at this Apple Battery Support Article - just scroll down to the iPad; $100+ when taxes & S/H are added - rather 'steep' IMO for a device that may be 2 generations or more behind the times?

For myself, I have an iPad 2 (< a year old) and will wait for the next one to be released - :)

STeBoS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
It is widely believed that Apple tries to design upgrades to be most attractive to those with two year old models. If I had an iPad 2, I would probably wait until the 4th generation. Since I have one of the first iPads, I am looking at going to a new model and handing down my old model. One thing to remember is that battery life is finite. Even with the best of care, the battery will start to fail after a few years, so there is only so long that it is worth keeping a model.

Great advice! Exactly what I'm going to do. The new features are certainly awesome but not worth that much extra for iPad2 owners IMO.

Sent from Latveria

kidnice15

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I agree with this.. I have always heard that you should skip a year when it comes to upgrading a device. I have the first gen ipad, I skipped the 2ng and now looking forward to getting the 3rd one. I plan on selling my ipad online for about 250 300.. 100 gift card from bestbuy.. only gotta pay another 100 for the ipad.. so I am happy with that.

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kidnice15 said:
I agree with this.. I have always heard that you should skip a year when it comes to upgrading a device. I have the first gen ipad, I skipped the 2ng and now looking forward to getting the 3rd one. I plan on selling my ipad online for about 250 300.. 100 gift card from bestbuy.. only gotta pay another 100 for the ipad.. so I am happy with that.

Im upgrading from the 1st gen. If i had the ipad 2 i would skip this model

sunking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad1, 32GB wifi/3G. I pre-ordered an iPad3, 32GB wifi/4G to replace it. I have to say that the iPad1 has really not felt as "snappy" as it did when I first received it. Maybe it is just me...

I think that the iPad3 will be quite an upgrade to the iPad1 that I currently have. Display, graphics and processor...all much faster. All of that made it much easier for me to bite the bullet and absorb the cost.

I was talking in the office yesterday about pre-ordering the iPad3 and one of my co-workers offered to buy my iPad1. We agreed to a purchase price of $150. This also helps offset the overall cost.

Now...just need to find a way to wait for March 16th to get here!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IMO, ole rule of thumbs don't apply in the case of the new iPad. Apple doubled the screen solution to the point where full page PDFs and magazines that are designed to use that screen will be wonderful to view. For me, that is a killer feature and was a clear weak point of the iPad 2 (I actually use an iPad in my work). IMO, I'll wait two years for the next upgrade, but not this one. I ordered my new iPad today and then shipped off my iPad 2 to Amazon.com.

I can understand how others may view this differently, however. It really depends on what you need from the tablet.

timtruro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
IMO, ole rule of thumbs don't apply in the case of the new iPad. Apple doubled the screen solution to the point where full page PDFs and magazines that are designed to use that screen will be wonderful to view. For me, that is a killer feature and was a clear weak point of the iPad 2 (I actually use an iPad in my work). IMO, I'll wait two years for the next upgrade, but not this one. I ordered my new iPad today and then shipped off my iPad 2 to Amazon.com.

I can understand how others may view this differently, however. It really depends on what you need from the tablet.

I read the WSJ many days on my 2 and the print graphics and pics are great. Maybe if you use it for work the increased resolution will make a difference, but for me, I am a happy camper with the 2.

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ordinarily I would wait at least 2 years to upgrade, but when I bought my Ipad 2 last June I just didn't realize how many uses I would find for it so I went with 16 gigs. I just pre-ordered a 64 gig model, and I'll give my son my Ipad 2. Two happy people - and now I can do video chats with him.

Most reactions

Latest posts