What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Working PC won't see working iPad

Tentacle Master

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm an IT proffesional at a large school district that deploys ipads (and some ipad2s) to faculty and some students and this is surprisingly the first ipad problem I've come across that's stumped me.

I have a windows XP laptop with the latest itunes freshly installed.
I have an iPad running iOS 4.2.1, thats recently been wiped and redeployed.

I also have 1000s more computers and a 100s more ipads

Said Laptop/itunes won't see/autoluanch itunes when ipad is connected. It displays correctly as an apple ipad in device manager.

When I connect any other ipad it sees/autolaunches itunes as expected. Other ipad is also running 4.2.1.

When I connect that same ipad into a different PC or MAC running a the lastest (or older) itunes, it sees/autolaunches itunes and I can proceed as normal.

What is it about this ipad/pc combination that refuses to make things work?

Yes, I reinstalled itunes
Yes, I tried other USB ports
Yes, the cable is known working
no, i will not reinstall windows
I'd prefer not to wipe the ipad

Your Help is appreciated
-TM

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tentacle Master said:
I'm an IT proffesional at a large school district that deploys ipads (and some ipad2s) to faculty and some students and this is surprisingly the first ipad problem I've come across that's stumped me.

I have a windows XP laptop with the latest itunes freshly installed.
I have an iPad running iOS 4.2.1, thats recently been wiped and redeployed.

I also have 1000s more computers and a 100s more ipads

Said Laptop/itunes won't see/autoluanch itunes when ipad is connected. It displays correctly as an apple ipad in device manager.

When I connect any other ipad it sees/autolaunches itunes as expected. Other ipad is also running 4.2.1.

When I connect that same ipad into a different PC or MAC running a the lastest (or older) itunes, it sees/autolaunches itunes and I can proceed as normal.

What is it about this ipad/pc combination that refuses to make things work?

Yes, I reinstalled itunes
Yes, I tried other USB ports
Yes, the cable is known working
no, i will not reinstall windows
I'd prefer not to wipe the ipad

Your Help is appreciated
-TM

Okay. I'm leaning towards this being an XP issue, but you don't say in your post which OS the other PC's are running. On the offending IPad, check settings / wifi is on. Obvious but has been known.

I'm assuming you have XP Pro on the laptop?

If it's XP home, there are some patches that you may need to install, some suggestions for now, you have probably tried, but otherwise the iPad itself must be the offender. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
T

Tentacle Master

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes in this case the laptop is running XP pro SP3. Other machines that work with the offending iPad include XP pro SP3, Windows 7 SP1, and Snow Leopard.

All our iPads are deployed with standard settings including being connected to the campus wide wifi.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tentacle Master said:
Yes in this case the laptop is running XP pro SP3. Other machines that work with the offending iPad include XP pro SP3, Windows 7 SP1, and Snow Leopard.

All our iPads are deployed with standard settings including being connected to the campus wide wifi.

Sounds like a faulty iPad. But try it elsewhere to be sure, then return for a replacement :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions