What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless Syncing on a campus network

Nacua

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there hope fully im on the right thread. But my question is can you use the wireless syncing option on a college campus network. I support 300+ iPads and iPad2's and it would make life extremely simple if I could sync these wirelessly. I have the latest iTunes installed running ios 5.0.1 i am on the network on both my itunes machine and the iPads. I am sure its a firewall issue as to why I cannot see my itunes machine from the iPads. would anyone know what I would need to change in the firewall setting to allow it to sync?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that there are some new methods that allow this, but I do not remember at this time.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck. Wireless syncing has had some of us tearing our hair out from the moment iOs5 was released. After going through everything I could think of, I could not get iTunes to see one iPad and one iPhone, so I really do think that seeing 300 will be the stuff of dreams.

The only time I ever saw wireless syncing happen was after a power outage, when my router was powered down for about half an hour. When the power came back on, iTunes showed both devices for about 6 hours. Since then, nada. I've secretly hoped that the two updates to the OS would address the issue, but I've learned to ignore this capability.

There has been much advice given on the subject, including starting a wired sync and ripping the cable out halfway through!!! That's the level of desperation we have reached. That said, the subject has been quite muted for some time now, so I'm assuming either people have it working, or have given up.

There are some real brains on here though, so sit tight and maybe someone will come up with something useful.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not found any way to wireless sync iPads. Everything I found is using a charging cart to sync with. I wonder if one of those companies can come up with a solution for you. With 300+ iPads, you might be able to use some of the carts in strategic locations. You might look at iPad carts in your search engine and then contact one of the companies.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Ports that may need forwarding: TCP:123, 3689, UDP:123, 5353

also if you are on a Mac with little snitch you must allow all connections to USBMUXD.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has just released a configure program that will all synching with multiple iOS devices. It may be just what you need. MacRumors had it in teir blog section, but you would have to check with Apple on details.

Most reactions

Latest posts