What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless set up with Airport Express/PC/Cable modem only

SR45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I’m getting an IPad soon, but doing some homework first…..

Questions for anyone in the know….

Since I have a Desktop PC, I must connect a USB Network Adaptor to the USB port (Using Windows 7 64 bit w/a Netgear USB network adaptor), so that I may connect the cable modem to the Airport Express input and hope that I will get this set up correctly.

Question: Should I install first the USB Network Adaptor, and then set up the Airport Express with the cable modem, or should I just connect the Cable Modem Ethernet cable to the Airport Express, connect it to the wall outlet, turn the cable modem on, and then connect the Network USB Adaptor. I know that I have to use the Airport Utility set up at some point, but cannot find on the web anything regarding the correct steps to take.
My guess is that I set up the Network Adaptor first with driver, then the Airport Express/modem with Airport Utility immediately after.

Or am I missing something? :confused:

Many thanks to anyone in the know. I also checked the this Apple forum for an answer, but could not find one at this time

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you do not have wireless or ethernet on your PC? (wondering about the usb adapter) If you're trying to set up the wireless usb adapter, you'd want to connect modem to airport to pc ethernet, then add the usb adapter for wireless...

I'm just as confused, since I'm not familiar with airport... LOL but this will get you a bump anyway.

What I have at my son's house is Modem to wireless router via ethernet cable, wireless router (which also has 4 wired ports) via ethernet cable to his old PC and then wirelessly to his laptop with built in wireless. I set it up by modem to router to wired pc... set it all up then added wireless adapter to the mix. So if thats what you're trying it should work.

If your airport has no wired in spaces then I'd run the usb adapter software without connection then when all the drivers are set up begin the router issue.

OP
S

SR45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks BrennB for the response.

I do now have a USB Network Adaptor from Netgear on my home build open air PC with a wireless netgrear router, but the tech that came out to put this together was so darn fast, I could not keep up with him and Wa-La, 5 minutes later he was finished and out the door.

I just wanted to know since I could not remember, if the Network USB adaptor was installed first with driver, then start the hook up with the wireless router and modem. Finally got it figured out (I thought) that the Network adaptor goes in first, but now you say its the other way around. When the time comes I'll try both ways to see which one works. :eek:

This way when I finally get the IPad, and Airport Express later on, I can do this myself and have a small router to take with me on vacation.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wait,you already have it set up?

Just so you know you don't use a usb adapter on your iPad, it doesn't need it and is not capable of carrying any usb items. (no ports) So all you need is the iPad and wireless internet access when you go on vacations... or a 3g iPad.

So what are you actually trying to set up for future?

OP
S

SR45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Correct, BrennB, but I got it set up after the question was asked with the netgear for the time being, but what I am going to attempt after I get the Ipad is switch out the Netgear for the Airport Express and give the netgear to dear old brother :)

This way I will have a portable router for hotels and just wanted to know which comes first so as not to screw things up and have to do it over. Hope this makes sense now ;)

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, well the pc is ready all you need to do is plug the airport to the modem and follow the instructs in the box. No need to redo the USB guy, it's specific to the pc not the router.

OP
S

SR45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you BrennB for the info. Still learning about wifi and routers but getting things in order now.

Now all I have to do is pick an Ipad either now or hold off until the new model late this year or next. Don't think I want to wait however, since desktop systems are getting old for me :D and all I do is use it for email, internet stuff for the most part. Games can still remain on the desktop

Small%20Banchetto%20101.jpg

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, don't hold back, go for it NOW you won't regret it. There is nothing saying a new model is coming out later this year... :)

OP
S

SR45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Played with a friends IPad today and boy I am hooked. Getting tired of my desktop and like the freedom of having this new toy with me where ever I go.. Thanks again BrennB for some of the help.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're welcome! I find myself bringing this everywhere, even when/where I never brought my laptop.

Most reactions

Latest posts