What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wired networking for iPad

tobriant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a consultant and visit my client's offices in a number of cities around the world. They don't offer me access to their wireless network, but sometimes they do provide wired access. Since I carry my iPad everywhere I go, it would be great to just hook up and connect up. I think I've noticed in the Apple store and Best Buy that the demo iPads are wired in rather than connecting wirelessly. WHAT?????? If so, then why can't we.

BIAS WARNING: My recent iPod Touch and iPad purchases represent my first-ever Apple products. I was almost persuaded by the iPhone, but didn't give in. But when iPad came along...well, here I am. The generations that follow (iPad and others) are going to change the way everyone works/plays/shops/communicates/etc. and I'm happy to get going now. That said, I realize that Steve Jobs has a bias against wired networking. I get the vision (I think), but we have to live in the real world today. And not every opportunity to connect is a wireless one. So....

If they can do it at the Apple Store and Best Buy, why can't we? Is it just a matter of time before someone in the aftermarket comes up with app + hardware to make this happen or is it technically impossible outside of the Appledome to make it work?

Or, am I wrong in thinking there is a need and a market for such a product?

(I'm going to look awfully foolish if it already exists and I just haven't run across it yet. I have looked. Honest.)

Last edited:

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about carrying around a mini wireless router with WEP encryption already set up. I used to do that when I travelled - that was also a lot more convenient for hotels that had both wired and very weak wireless signals. I would just create my own network.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you sure they're wired? I think they're connected via the charger cable and another cable which is the security cable, not network cables.

OP
T

tobriant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Purpleorchid, you are right about the type of cables, but still the LAN signal seems to be coming through those cables. The rest of the suggestions are right on track for what I'm doing these days. Before my last trip to Sydney (last week) I got a D-Link DWL-G730AP mini router which I used at the hotel. It worked great (mostly). It's not as simple as an adapter would be, but it works. I wouldn't mind having both. Am looking forward to the day when I won't carry a laptop--the iPad (or its inheritor) will be all I'll need.

tobybarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Airport Express - so it does NOT need to be tethered to a router or modem with ethernet cable? I can jut plug it in some place else in the house and it'll work wirelessly a a kind of WIFI "booster"? So I could use the pad in the garden, for example?

Cmb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, What type of phone do you have and who is the carrier?
Does it or do they support mobile tethering?
I know you mentioned that you don't have a iPhone. If you like the Ipad than you would prob. Love the IP4. Definitely the best device I've ever owned.( Coming fro a previous windows mobile & Blackberry user)
Anyways, I tether 3G right from my iPhone, a flip of a switch and I'm all set, No wires needed. Don't even need to take the phone out of my pocket:).
Depending on your phone/carrier this may be a option for you.

Crockett ruled lol.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple - AirPort Express plugs into the wall for power & CAT5 connection to the network. Then provides wireless connections for 10 devices.

Yes this definitely will land you in hot water if they don't have wireless for security reasons. Don't expose your clients to a security breach without asking first. And don't use WEP, it just makes hackers laugh. At least use WPA2.

Most reactions

Latest posts