What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windows Live to mail on iPad 2

Arrid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am currently using Windows Mail to receive and send email. I have several folders to store various emails.

My email is provided by Utility Warehouse.

I was hoping to use the IPads 'Mail' app to mirror the folders on windows mail and sync new mail etc.

Can this be done?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are two parts to the issue.

The first is that you're provider (Utility Warehouse) needs to be using either an IMAP or Exchange server. If it's POP3, then you won't be able to sync anything. Check, and if you are set up as POP3 look to see if they have an IMAP server option.

POP3 just downloads email from the server. Both IMAP and Exchange store and sync mail on the server.

The second, if you do have an IMAP or Exchange account you need to be aware of where you are saving folders on your computer's email client. You can either create and save folders locally on the computer, or on the server. Any folders you want to be synced must be on the server. How to do this will vary in each email client, so dig into the support for your app for instructions.

Under the advanced settings for your account the iPad you can set the Sent, Drafts, and Trash folders to be local or on the sever. I believe these are local by default. All other folders will be on the server, and automatically sync.

OP
A

Arrid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Utility Warehouse appear to be pop with no alternative. Is there any other practical solution?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Best long term solution, switch email providers.

Short term, you could use Gmail to access your other account. It's possible to set up Gmail so that it will log in and get email from other accounts, and even send using them. You could then use the Gmail account almost as normal. This gives you a safety net while transferring to a new account, especially if it's a Gmail account.

Also, if you don't mind doing it manually, you can move emails from any account on the iPad to folders in other accounts. That means you could manually save emails from the Utility Warehouse account to a Gmail or iCloud account folder; which would stay synced on all devices.

Most reactions

Latest posts