What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windows Live Mail sync with Ipad

reddragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both a desktop and laptop running Windows 7 and use Windows Live Mail for my mail. I have recently purchased a 32G Ipad and love it but have yet to find a way to sync the emails between Windows and the Ipad. Anybody have a solution to this problem or am I just missing something obvious?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both a desktop and laptop running Windows 7 and use Windows Live Mail for my mail. I have recently purchased a 32G Ipad and love it but have yet to find a way to sync the emails between Windows and the Ipad. Anybody have a solution to this problem or am I just missing something obvious?

OK - I'm assuming you want to use the iPad's native Mail app. You don't say how you've got this set up so please forgive me if I repeat stuff you've already done...

So, if you haven't configured the Mail settings, here's what you need.

'Home' screen, 'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendars', 'Add Account', 'Other', 'Mail', 'Add Mail Account', 'Name' (add your name), 'Address' (email address), 'Password' (password), 'Description' (will appear as the name of the account in Mail) and then work your way through setting up the following information in the appropriate fields.

POP server: pop3.live.com (Port 995)**
POP SSL required? Yes
User name: Your Windows Live ID, for example [email protected]
Password: The password you usually use to sign in to Hotmail or Windows Live
SMTP server: smtp.live.com*(Port 25 or 587)**
Authentication required? Yes (this matches your POP username and password)
TLS/SSL required? Yes

When you've finished setting all this up, the iPad tries to authenticate the account - i.e. tries to log in. I've found this 'authentication' sometimes fails even though the account subsequently works just fine. So I'd suggest you go to the iPad's native Mail app and see if you can send a test mail to yourself and receive it.

You'll encounter some other issues along the way - if you're using POP you can't create folders in the iPad's native Mail app, you're limited to the number of emails you can store locally on the iPad (selectable in 'Settings' - up to 200), you're limited to how frequently the iPad will automatically check for new emails (most frequent is once every 15 minutes, though you can always prompt it manually).

So, as you can see, it's a bit of a tortuous process and designed to drive you to drink.....give it a try and, as I said, if you've already done all this stuff and I've not addressed the issue, don't hesitate to get back.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad.

Tim
Scotland

OP
R

reddragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the response, I put you to a lot off effort by being rather brief about the issue. I didn't want to be too verbose in case I put off responses.

My Windows Live Mail account is set up and works on the IPad. The problem is that it does not sync with my Windows machines. I receive mail on the IPad, delete and maybe respond to it. When I login to the Windows machine it get the same messages all over again but no record of the sent messages.

I tried to set up MobileMe without success but found out in the small print that you need to be using Outlook Express for this to work. I'm not going back, I like Windows 7 to much.

Microsoft Exchange is no option since I don't have a corporate service.

Any suggestions?

John

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - thinking cap time....

It's sunny in the North East of Scotland - an event that we see once in a lifetime ;-) so I'm out of here...but I'll be back with some more suggestions early tomorrow...

I just love the iPad...

Tim
Scotland

OP
R

reddragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Enjoy it while it lasts. A mild and balmy day in Easter Ontario today, sunny and a delightful -5C.

Looking forward to your comments.

John

TheBigCheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Your best bet is to set it up as Exchange, not POP. The server is m.Hotmail.com and you can also sync calendar and contacts. If you use Exchange, you will have access to all your folders.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Your best bet is to set it up as Exchange, not POP. The server is m.Hotmail.com and you can also sync calendar and contacts. If you use Exchange, you will have access to all your folders.

I'm out of my depth now, so I bow to your superior knowledge. Sounds like a great idea...

Another sunny day here - though not as cold as in Canada....

Tim
Scotland

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are able to set up as an IMAP email account as opposed to POP, then folders can be established to sync fine from pc email onto your iPad.
S

Sent from my iPad using iPF

TheBigCheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are able to set up as an IMAP email account as opposed to POP, then folders can be established to sync fine from pc email onto your iPad.
S

HOTMAIL does not support IMAP. If you set up as Exchange, you get all the benefits of IMAP.

TheBigCheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You do NOT need anything corporate to set up HOTMAIL as Exchange! Everyone gets that.

OP
R

reddragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to keep my current email address and not a hotmail account. Can I do that with Hotmail?
I went ahead in my ignorance and set up an exchange account using m.hotmail.com as server but with my own email address and password. The account was set up but the password I entered was not recognized. What am I missing?
Regards, John

TheBigCheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score
reddragon said:
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to keep my current email address and not a hotmail account. Can I do that with Hotmail?
I went ahead in my ignorance and set up an exchange account using m.hotmail.com as server but with my own email address and password. The account was set up but the password I entered was not recognized. What am I missing?
Regards, John

I misunderstood. What is the domain of your personal email? That is the stuff after the @

OP
R

reddragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TheBigCheese said:
I misunderstood. What is the domain of your personal email? That is the stuff after the @

Vianet.ca, and they do not offer a 3G service.

TheBigCheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score
reddragon said:
Vianet.ca, and they do not offer a 3G service.

I don't think they support imap so you are out of luck unless you access their email via the web browser if that works.

J1000ZX

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I used the mpad app for a long time, and it works perfect. However as others have said, now you just need to set it up as exchange. I cannot post the link because I just joined, but google "how to setup hotmail as exchange on iphone" and follow the first link to iphonehacks.com. It has the easy to follow instructions. Cheers!

Most reactions

Latest posts