What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the Kindle app leave the app store?

Reaction score
Turns out that Apple is further restricting it's App Store.

"The company has told some applications developers, including Sony, that they can no longer sell content, like e-books, within their apps, or let customers have access to purchases they have made outside the App Store."

NY timed apple moves to tighten Control of app store

Since this is exactly what the Kindle app does, will it be removed from the app store, or will this policy change only affect new apps?

Last edited:

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Almost everything about the iPad has been intended to guide users to buy media content from Apple, and this is another way to fence iPad users in. Since I use my iPad as an e-book reader a significant portion of the time, this would definitely lead me to jailbreak my current iPad and buy something else when it's time to uprade.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Almost everything about the iPad has been intended to guide users to buy media content from Apple, and this is another way to fence iPad users in. Since I use my iPad as an e-book reader a significant portion of the time, this would definitely lead me to jailbreak my current iPad and buy something else when it's time to uprade.

Nicely put. I guess I am in the "I'll believe it when I see it" mode right now, but if this were to come true that would quickly be the end of my Apple days period.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This would indeed be a great shame. I subscribe to a number of newspaper apps and it's very convenient to be able to order the next edition or subscription from within the app. Let's hope Apple listen to the feelings of their loyal customers.

Tim
Scotland

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, the article does indicate speculation that this could include Kindle/Amazon books. Now how dumb would that be?? Many people equally use iPad as an e-reader. I have it as I wanted an e-reader that is also a tablet. iPad's function also as an e-reader HELPED me tremendously in going with it, and in fact, I wouldn't have gotten one without e-reader access, and I think Apple would lose sales were they to remove Kindle books access. Kindle/Amazon seems more ubiquitous than Sony in terms of e-books, although Sony devices still seem popular too.

Brewc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kindle and the Nook direct you to a webpage to buy the books, sony was wanting to do in app from what I have read, and appears to be the issue.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kindle and the Nook direct you to a webpage to buy the books, sony was wanting to do in app from what I have read, and appears to be the issue.

The more Apple tries to fence iPad users within their Walled Garden, the more it will have once only customers. They will buy the first time in ignorance but will look elsewhere the next time around in the knowledge that iPad has restrictions the competition does not.

Marketing 1.0 says that repeat customers are gold.

T

TJK

Here is a synopsis of the article at Engadget based on rejection of Sony's Reader app:

Apple rejects Sony Reader app, really doesn't want you buying content from others (update: Apple says it needs official in-app purchases) -- Engadget

Update: As noted by Harry McCracken over at Technologizer, it has actually been Apple's longstanding policy to forbid in-app purchases -- the Kindle and Nook apps send you to a browser -- so Sony's desire to do so will have been the major cause for the Reader application's rejection. That doesn't invalidate the second concern expressed in the New York Times article, that Apple will no longer tolerate content brought in from external stores, which is a displeasing development, if true.

Update 2: Looks like McCracken nailed it -- Apple's come out with a statement pointing out that the App Store guidelines require that apps that allow content purchases must also allow them in-app through Apple's official iTunes-backed system. We can't imagine that Sony is thrilled with the idea of cutting Apple in on Reader content, but if they want to play ball, they should be able to score an approval. Notably, Apple says that they are "now requiring" this even though the guidelines haven't changed, suggesting they're just now getting around to enforcing it; the effect on iOS' Kindle and Nook apps isn't yet known, but we wouldn't be surprised if Apple started nudging them in the direction of pushing updates. More on this situation as we have it.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score

No, I think the issue is they lead you outside the iTunes structure, meaning Apple doesn't get their 30% cut. Add at to the fact that they are direct competitors to iBooks...

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't get it.

So the reason Sony was rejected was because Sony wanted to point the purchases of e-books directly to their own website and then the content would flow from their site to the iPad. Apple rejected it because it did not also include an in-app process to purchase through iStore.

I just looked at my Kindle app. In the upper right corner is a link to purchase from Amazon. I can't for the life of me find an option to purchase thropugh iStore or iTunes. Is the fact that the icon to reach Amazon's site right there in the app all it takes for approval? I never log into the iStore account to buy books. I simply log into Amazon. Seems to me that Kindle is exactly what Apple rejected Sony for. Or did Sony want people to go to Sony's site and order books without clicking an icon inside the app? That makes no sense at all since the Kindle icon doesn't even offer an option to go through iStore or iTunes.

Nate

Frankmezz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will Apple refund all the books i bought to read on the ipad kindle app since i don't own a stand alone kindle?

FutureStar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sure hope Apple doesn't eliminate the Kindle app. One of the main reasons I got an iPad was to use it as an e-reader, and for some reason I prefer the Kindle app instead of iBooks.

Berghammer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sure hope Apple doesn't eliminate the Kindle app. One of the main reasons I got an iPad was to use it as an e-reader, and for some reason I prefer the Kindle app instead of iBooks.

I feel the same way. :(

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't get it.

So the reason Sony was rejected was because Sony wanted to point the purchases of e-books directly to their own website and then the content would flow from their site to the iPad. Apple rejected it because it did not also include an in-app process to purchase through iStore.

I just looked at my Kindle app. In the upper right corner is a link to purchase from Amazon. I can't for the life of me find an option to purchase thropugh iStore or iTunes. Is the fact that the icon to reach Amazon's site right there in the app all it takes for approval? I never log into the iStore account to buy books. I simply log into Amazon. Seems to me that Kindle is exactly what Apple rejected Sony for. Or did Sony want people to go to Sony's site and order books without clicking an icon inside the app? That makes no sense at all since the Kindle icon doesn't even offer an option to go through iStore or iTunes.

Nate

Actually Nate you have hit right on why people are wondering what is going to happen with Kindle content. If you take Apple's explanation today as their stance on things then the Kindle app is in direct violation of the application guidelines. The same goes for the Nook app. Neither one allows for in app purchasing because the purchases do not go through the App Store or Itunes.

Personally, I think maybe this is just part of the ongoing pissing contest between Apple and Sony. Then again it could be Apple flexing their considerable muscle when it comes to controlling content flow into their devices.

The easy solution to all of this would be for all of the ebook sellers to add in app purchasing to their reader apps. They should add a 30% surcharge to all in app purchases but still sell their content for normal price elsewhere. This would allow them to conform to the Apple guidelines and still keep their customer base happy.

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not a Kindle user, but I love my Nook and was hoping to use my ipad (which should be here tomorrow) to read occasionally since it now syncs. If they take away the Kindle I can guarantee they will also take away the Nook and I'll be seriously unhappy :(

Most reactions

Latest posts