What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the Kindle app leave the app store?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mmm..
What about the likes of eBay ? Apple wants a share of the profit too ?
Bottom line.
If You don't like apple's policy go but a tablet from someone else.

May I ask a question? This attitude is trotted out every time Apple changes something, and I'm wondering if those who use it realize that Apple is changing the rules on their current customers. "Don't buy one" is a great attitude for people that haven't already purchased an iPad, but is Apple offering to buy mine back now that they've decided to renege on their end of the deal?

I knew the device had its shortcomings - I never suspected Apple would work so diligently to add more restrictions/shortcomings after the purchase.

Last edited:

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Technician said:
Simply buy an Android tablet and stick it up to the man!!! The more I read of this the more certain I am I will never buy another Apple iPad. I seen the videos released today of Android tablets running Android 3.0 and it looks very slick. I could be certain my eBook reader will work forever with Android tablets ( I use Kobo ) same issue as Amazon.

Droidforums.com is the place for you it seems.

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Technician said:
Simply buy an Android tablet and stick it up to the man!!! The more I read of this the more certain I am I will never buy another Apple iPad. I seen the videos released today of Android tablets running Android 3.0 and it looks very slick. I could be certain my eBook reader will work forever with Android tablets ( I use Kobo ) same issue as Amazon.

Droidforums.com is the place for you it seems.

Though I agree with your sentiment about them going to another forum.droidforum is for droid. There are a lot of android phones and tablets that are not droids.

On the flip side, I'm a die hard android fan and I still decided the ipad was a better choice when I got my tax return last weekend.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sony is trying to spin this as Apple's fault that they cannot circumvent the proper procedures. Amazon's bypass is against the rules, but within the intent of the rules. Sony is ignoring the rules, and the more they try to muscle Apple, the more Apple is going to push back. Sony is trying to use the courts to help push Apple, so Apple is tightening up their rules to keep the courts from getting involved.

Apple gets 30% of apps that are purchased, but there is a question about how to deal with books. It may be nothing, or it could be a change of how it is done. For example, you can buy music from Apple on the iPad, but not from Amazon. However, you can buy music, movies, TV shows, etc., on your computer and then port them through iTunes onto the iPad. Why not do books the same way. I have numerous Kindle books on my MacBook Pro that I have been meaning to move over any way.

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is Apple's fault. If they are going to allow it for Kindle and Nook they should allow it for Sony. Either that or make Amazon & B&N follow the same rules.

Apple is not perfect. They do some hair brained things like every other company.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
thekarens said:
Though I agree with your sentiment about them going to another forum.droidforum is for droid. There are a lot of android phones and tablets that are not droids.

On the flip side, I'm a die hard android fan and I still decided the ipad was a better choice when I got my tax return last weekend.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g

Wait wait your right........

Androidforums.net/.com

:)

OP
DontUnderstandMyIpad
Reaction score
A short extract from another article:

"Apple has indicated the sales outside of iTunes can continue, as long as sales through its store are provided as an option" Apple to Tighten Control of How Magazines, Content Are Sold for iPad - WSJ.com

However it doesn't mention that the two sales options have to be the same price, but if this isn't regulated yet, I presume that Apple soon will change that part too.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And its not just about Amazon!

Obviously this would involve B&N and Borders (which may become one store at some time in the future), but there are also apps from Stanza, GoodReader and Bluefire (and others I am sure) that link to outside sources for content that are purchased from WITHIN the app.

MsJoanne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What s/he said

Almost everything about the iPad has been intended to guide users to buy media content from Apple, and this is another way to fence iPad users in. Since I use my iPad as an e-book reader a significant portion of the time, this would definitely lead me to jailbreak my current iPad and buy something else when it's time to uprade.

Not just my iPad, this will definitely put me into an Android phone. I wouldn't give it a second thought. I live on my Kindle app. I spend many weeks a year living in hotel rooms and on airplanes.

While I am dissatisified with the lack of Flash (which means some websites are completely unaccessible on my iPad or iPhone), this would be the straw that broke this camel's back.

MsJoanne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's my biggest beef with this whole thing

Apple is now setting prices for B&N, Kindle, Kobo, etc. As Apple takes 30% in revenue for themselves, I am going to have to pay more for the books I want to buy. It's not like Amazon is going to gift Apple 30%. They are going to pass that along to us.

And if that happens, I am getting rid of all my iDevices (I have four).

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do sort of think we are jumping to conclusions. I can't believe Apple isn't aware of how many of us are reading on our Ipads besides all the other things we do. In fact, I'm sure they know and they would like us to buy through the Ibooks store. I would be happy to do that but many of the books I have bought they don't carry because they haven't settled with at least one large publisher which has a number of other smaller imprints it publishes. Its aware of that and I don't think they wouod be so foolish as to limit us buying from these other sources. I do think they will do something with magazines and newspapers though that are sold through apps.

yaredna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is even worse than thought -- Apple, are you listening ?

So let me get this straight:
. Amazon has to forfeit its 30% margin and give it to Apple just to be able to use Kindle on the already-paid-for iPad .. Can't see Amazon accepting it
. Same for Nook, B&N, ...
. How about Zinio? The app is free, I subscribe to magazines on the web, I read them through Zinio's web app on my PC or on the iPad app. Would they want to surcharge 30% for a service that Apple is NOT rendering?
. How about Netflix? Would my subscription be bumped-up by 30% to pay Apple?
. And how about Delta and American Airlines? Because I can check-in to my flight that I purchased on the web, I need to pay Apple 30%?
. Or how about my stock broker? I subscribe to real-time stock information and analysis, would Apple want 30% of the subscription? How about also 30% of the trades I do using the App?

So, if anyone at Apple is listening, I purchased so far 4 iPads (one for me, one for my wife, one for my sister, one for my IT manager at work), and I was planning to purchase 7 more for my team. I have referred about 20 people if not more to buy iPads.

With a policy like this, not only I feel insulted, but I feel that Apple hurted MY REPUTATION with people around me.

I used to be an Apple fan boy. If this policy sticks, and we'll see how the kindle App is updated to soon, you can count me not only as one of the many "deserter", but I will be an outspoken one too.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
. You are all taking this out of proportion. Seriously....nothing like this would happen. Apple would be stupid to do this as they would lose a feature of their biggest success. Not. Going. To. Happen!

Last edited:

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
yaredna said:
So let me get this straight:
. Amazon has to forfeit its 30% margin and give it to Apple just to be able to use Kindle on the already-paid-for iPad .. Can't see Amazon accepting it
. Same for Nook, B&N, ...
. How about Zinio? The app is free, I subscribe to magazines on the web, I read them through Zinio's web app on my PC or on the iPad app. Would they want to surcharge 30% for a service that Apple is NOT rendering?
. How about Netflix? Would my subscription be bumped-up by 30% to pay Apple?
. And how about Delta and American Airlines? Because I can check-in to my flight that I purchased on the web, I need to pay Apple 30%?
. Or how about my stock broker? I subscribe to real-time stock information and analysis, would Apple want 30% of the subscription? How about also 30% of the trades I do using the App?

So, if anyone at Apple is listening, I purchased so far 4 iPads (one for me, one for my wife, one for my sister, one for my IT manager at work), and I was planning to purchase 7 more for my team. I have referred about 20 people if not more to buy iPads.

With a policy like this, not only I feel insulted, but I feel that Apple hurted MY REPUTATION with people around me.

I used to be an Apple fan boy. If this policy sticks, and we'll see how the kindle App is updated to soon, you can count me not only as one of the many "deserter", but I will be an outspoken one too.

you don't think google/HTC takes money off the back end for their paid alps?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't believe Apple isn't aware of how many of us are reading on our Ipads besides all the other things we do.
Apparently they weren't aware of how many people were upset over the removal of the screen rotation lock button either!

Most reactions