What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the ipad 3 support 4G in the Uk

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Please can someone confirm or deny whether the iPad 3 will support 4G connections in the uk. I've just been informed that they can't. :(

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Uk has same type of 4g LTE network as Australia which is a different band width to USA and is not directly supported with the iPad 3 however in saying that the performance at 3G on the 4 g network is impressive when comparing. a iPad 2 on 3G
From what I can understand it is the design of the antennas in the iPad 3 that makes it faster

One should understand that LTE 4g may only have a small range in cities so the iPad will drop down to 3 g outside of the 4g transmission iIn Australia while traveling I found if you are out side 4k of a major city forget it. In some cases less than 2 k I tested the LTE network with a iPhone 5 which is. a special model for our region I suspect the latest 4 g iPad and the mini just released will be a special model like the iPhone 5

There are 3 versions of the iPhone 5 world wide
Personally I would. not stress to much as it could take years before the coverage is beneficial to you.

The real problem is not Apple it is the fact that there is no single standard LTE 4G network across the world so if you travel a lot regardless what you have it may drop down to 3G out side of your country
Hope that helps

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This shows what world LTE networks the the 4th gen iPad will support, at least for now.

Apple - iPad - View countries with supported LTE networks.

In a weird sort of flip-flop, it looks like the Verizon version of the 4th gen iPad is going to be a better world tablet than the AT&T model.

The iPad 1 advantage was AT&T (because only they had it). With the iPad 2 only AT&T had GSM (used in most of the world outside the U.S.). The 3rd gen iPad is more or less equal between carriers because both have GSM (Verizon's in addition to CDMA).

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts