What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will ipad play movies with m4v extension?

durangojim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just trying to figure out the best way to get my movies on the ipad. Plan on using handbrake, but not sure what settings to use.

Yokhaji

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i use handbrake all the time to rip my movies. I just leave the settings default and the movies work fine on my ipad.

wildpearcreative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still problems

We have an online media library, dense with .m4vs (only some of which have been converted by handbrake).

When clicked on, the .m4vs will not play. Just a "Play" button with a circle and slash through it.

Any help? It affects a few thousand users right now, and we don't want to have to reupload all the vids.

Shirley1988

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.noteburner.com
Yes, iPad can play iTunes M4V movies, you'd better look at this:Tune4mac iTunes Video Converter Platinum, it's able to help you convert iTunes M4V movies to iPad video.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have over 100 m4v I created using Handbrake...they all play fine and many of them are 1080p (for my laptops). If you have some that were not created with Handbrake, then who knows what you have. You may want to try a converter like AVS Video Converter on those files to see if you can find a setting to make them work. You can Google for it. It has lots of settings.

capy10000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad/Handbrake/m4v

This happens to me as well. My iPad does not play the m4v. Maybe it's the way I am getting the vids on to the iPad? I am converting the m4v's into mp4 with Miro.

After converting the video to mp4, I learned that it is not the format but how I was getting the video on the iPad. The m4v worked when I followed these instructions:

• Save the video to your computer
  • Connect your iPad to your computer
  • Open iTunes on your computer and find the 'Movies' section on your iPad
  • Drag the video into the 'Movies' section in iTunes
  • Launch your iPad, navigate to the 'Videos' app
  • The video should be viewable

Last edited:

Most reactions