What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will iPad Fail in School?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theipadstudent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.theipadstudentexperiment.com
I came across this article in BusinessWeek the other day:
Will iPad Fail in School? - BusinessWeek

To summarize, a high school in Michigan is playing around with the idea of using the iPad as a learning aid for their students. One problem the teachers see with the device: the lack of a remote monitoring program so the teachers can see what are on their students' screens at any given time.

I understand that the teachers want to make sure their students are learning while in school, but does that become synonymous with requiring the ability to peek into students' computers Big Brother style to make sure they are actually doing school work?

The teachers wonder why Apple doesn't implement a monitoring program that runs at startup in the background, but, in my opinion, if Apple put in a remote monitoring feature into every iPad then that would open a whole can of worms regarding privacy and security in general.

What do you all think? Should there be a remote monitor ability installed into the iPad before it can be used in high schools or are teachers becoming too demanding in their want for control?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a newsflash: The iPad is NOT the be-all end-all solution to every computer need. Its cool. Its neat. It is certainly innovative, but it is OK to not use an iPad for everything. Sorry Mr. Jobs.

OP
theipadstudent

theipadstudent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Here is a newsflash: The iPad is NOT the be-all end-all solution to every computer need. Its cool. Its neat. It is certainly innovative, but it is OK to not use an iPad for everything. Sorry Mr. Jobs.

It was never stated that the iPad is the be-all end-all solution to everything. I am curious that once slate-type or ultramobile computers make their way into the school systems (I firmly believe they will, it's just a matter of time), will it become a necessity for a remote monitoring program to be built into the device, be it iPad or otherwise?

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad would literally be the worst device to use as a learning tool in school. And any school that considers spending the amount of money it would take to outfit itself with iPads should have its budget slashed bigtime.

The iPad is a media consumption device. A laptop or desktop is a much better option for students.

Temp40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.tabletbuzzblog.com
in my opinion the iPad will excel in the field of education, I firmly believe that, eventually you'll see them in classrooms everywhere

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It was never stated that the iPad is the be-all end-all solution to everything.
But people act like it is. "How come my iPad won't do this?" "How come my iPad won't do that?"

My point was that the schools are taking the wrong approach. Instead of looking for a solution for a problem, they are trying to take the iPad and make it the solution and it is clearly not designed to meet their needs... at least not at this time. Its not the iPad that is failing. It is doing exactly what it was designed to do. The article states, "It would be a crowning achievement after five years of searching for the perfect laptop for students." The iPad was not designed to be laptop in a different package. As has been stated over and over and over again, it is primarily a media consumption device. If you bought it to replace a laptop or some other portable computing solution, you will most likely be disappointed.

Here's another news flash: Its the education system that is failing and this is just another example.

[/RANT] off

Last edited:
OP
theipadstudent

theipadstudent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website

It was never stated that the iPad is the be-all end-all solution to everything.
But people act like it is. "How come my iPad won't do this?" "How come my iPad won't do that?"

My point was that the schools are taking the wrong approach. Instead of looking for a solution for a problem, they are trying to take the iPad and make it the solution and it is clearly not designed to meet their needs... at least not at this time. Its not the iPad that is failing. It is doing exactly what it was designed to do. The article states, "It would be a crowning achievement after five years of searching for the perfect laptop for students." The iPad was not designed to be laptop in a different package. As has been stated over and over and over again, it is primarily a media consumption device. If you bought it to replace a laptop or some other portable computing solution, you will most likely be disappointed.

Here's another news flash: Its the education system that is failing and this is just another example.

[/RANT] off

Ahh thanks for the clarification. I see exactly where you're coming from now.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I think they are crazy for expecting to have monitoring on the ipad.

This school probably is used to monitoring the students activity with monitoring software on their PC's. Many schools do this in computer labs. They have just become spoiled by this and now expect everything in the future to be able to do what they could do previously on the computers.

Do the teachers not have legs to walk around the room and monitor what the kids are doing? Also the ipad can be very strictly locked down from doing most things. No installing of new apps or anything like that. And if they are connecting to the school wifi the network will have the same web filtering that all the PC's Have.

Would be nice if my school could afford iPads, not even for each student but just for teachers. As it is right now with all the budget cuts the school doesn't even have the money to replace any of the current computers that are broken and most of the current computers are 6-8 years old.

Last edited:

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love the iPad but I sure would hate being the student that had to depend on it as a learning tool. A lot of people can't not use this device for long term reading due to the screen light and eye stress. Some colleges are already using the iPad for their text books. I don't have a problem reading with the iPad but for those that do, they may be SOL. I hope the coleges will offer option either or.. :confused:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sad that teachers have lost the use of their legs and are unable to walk around the classroom..........

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I dont think monitoring is a must, but I do think a pen / handwriting interface (in addition to touch) is. There will be tablets in the classroom one day, but I dont know if it will be the iPad.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
like everyone hear i do think that the ipad with the right software applicatiosn for the schools will become the item to use in the school classrooms..

but also the teacher will have to get up and walk around the classroom to see what is going on in there classroom also but now they are trying to get the ipad to do something that it not design for ..

i would like to add this to the post.

if the school issused the ipad and it basic accessories items to the income students with every classroom book that they had for the that year on the ipad in a e-book form along with all the study aids and others things need for that school year and locked the ipad O.S. system down where it could not have anything add to the ipad inless it was by the school itself with a update of the school programs on the ipad then you could have a basic system for the school to use in teaching the future childern

Last edited:

Draper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in preliminary discussions on implementing the iPad at the language immersion school where I work. It would be a pilot program for one grade (the highest), at first, but would then trickle down the the program as far as would be feasible, based on continual feedback from all stakeholders in the educational context (students, parents, teachers, administrators, publishers, etc.). The iPad would contain all of the students textbooks and materials in annotate-able PDF, initially, but would hopefully evolve into something more interactive through the feedback offered to the digital content providers (who we are currently in discussions with). Apps like Flipside HD with quizlet.com integration would be extremely useful to students and teachers alike, as a set of notecards could just be uploaded for students to access as study supplements. Push notifications are also something I'm very excited about for our students. I'll let you imagine what could be done with those.

Anyway...the final pitch will be in the second half of August for a possible Spring implementation.

As an educator, and someone who cares about education (not necessarily one in the same), I think that the monitoring brouhaha is bogus. Diligent teachers will create more diligent students. Direct monitoring is not necessary if the teacher is engaged with the classroom and learning experience. Experienced teachers that may have become set in their ways may have to adapt to a new set of circumstances that could require them to be unseated (gasp!). Students have minds that are constantly looking for ways to skirt authority and get their way. The more predictable you are as a teacher, the easier it is for them to formulate their plan of attack.

Create tasks which focus on results and allow students a bit more freedom on if they want to take the direct, or the scenic route to reach their destination. Implement group tasks to take advantage of the strength of peer pressure. Remain engaged while the groups work, above all.

I'll keep you guys posted on how this all flies...

Mecread

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skimed the postes.

The local high school loans out Macs to the students here, both parent and student have to sign an agreement for the laptop. And it is running a tracker on it. If it's been altered the student has to pay for the laptop. I think the iPad / tablet will be great of a school setting.

I am all for tracking the stuff on electronic media if it's paid by the school systems. The school that my sister works for ago a new computer lab Free if they agreed to fun key logging and spybotfor the company. I know that she has a few iPad they are going to try for the spec edu kids in aug, but when we talked she did not have them in hand yet.

charriga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my iPad, but I think a laptop would be a better tool for school.

1. Either could house etextsbooks. I would love to see my students and own child not carrying 30 lbs of books.
2. A laptop has a better keyboard for the reports students have to write.
3. A laptop allows for transferring files/completed work to a thumb drive and can be connected to a projector for presenting to the class. Except for needing the projector connection, a netbook would suffice.
4. A laptop allows split screen/multitasking. It makes it easier to toggle between reference material and the document/presentation being created.

On the flip side, an iPad has a battery that could last the entire school day (assuming students remember to charge them). Using laptops would require the classrooms to be equipped with charging stations available at the desks.

There are large amounts of (mostly flash based) materials that would make it easier for teachers to individualize instruction for students (both for remediation and advanced work) if we had a way to get it in the hands of students.

While the iPad comes close, neither device has stylus input that is good enough for taking handwritten notes.

I'd love to have tech as a tool in the hands of my students, but I'll probably retire before it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts