What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will garageband and imovie work for us

Nick Burns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I read, and someone correct me if I'm wrong (I am new after all), they will work with the original iPad, you just won't be able to record video, obviously.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's really disappointing...

I've been looking for something like iMovie since I got the iPad in may of last year. I'm hoping that they're in the process of writing some kind of emulation software.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw an article also say imovie will work on ipad1. You just wont be able to record video but can still upload existing movies into it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you go to the iPad 2 page on Apple's site, you can see what devices are compatibe listed in the top right corner. I believe I saw the same article you did, and took it to mean the same thing, but thinking back I believe they were only speculating.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Could be RAM. Both the iPhone 4 and the newest iPod Touch have 512 GB of RAM. Some things, like generating frame transitions, probably require a fair bit of RAM. While we are not sure how much RAM the iPad 2 has yet, it probably has 512 GB.

Best guess.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
haha 512GB, thats a lot! no wonder its so fast...

That's a guess. We don't have official figures yet. Someone should have a break down with days of the release, and we'll get some better ideas of what the iPad's got under the hood.

I agree with the general sentiment that what really counts is how well it works, but the geek in me likes to know what's inside too. And the coward inside me is willing to let someone else break their toy to find out. :)

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You mean 512MB lol, but yes I'm very interested in seeing what's what before I take the plunge and sell my 1st gen and buy the 2nd gen.

I will wait for a ifixit teardown and maybe see what apps are released, but I'll probably want it as soon as I see it! :(

Fabytm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could be RAM. Both the iPhone 4 and the newest iPod Touch have 512 GB of RAM. Some things, like generating frame transitions, probably require a fair bit of RAM. While we are not sure how much RAM the iPad 2 has yet, it probably has 512 GB.

Best guess.

The iPod Touch 4th gen has 256MB RAM!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've looked up the device use in the GarageBand movie images of the iPad 2 demo.

It's called the Apogee Jam. Luckily it is compatible with our beloved iPad 1.:) I just hope it works with a microphone too...

I've snapped a picture while the movie played.

53e4dcfa.png

Last edited:

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great video editing software as well as synth composition software already exists for the iPad. I'm sure that apple's will be very pretty but don't think for a minute that your ipad1 is missing out on any functionality.

The reason these were made to appear as ipad2 features is because the ipad2 doesn't have many real new features. Maybe once ios5 comes out we will see real fragmentation

Most reactions

Latest posts