What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Apple ever make an ipad with an sd card slot?

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is kind of lame they don't have an SD slot but they compensate by the camera connection kit. I don't see them adding one (or a USB like everyone has been wanting since the first one came out) simply because it would take away from the clean look/design by adding additional ports. For more storage you basically have 4 options: SD with camera connection kit, AirStash, HyperDrive and the GoFlex Satellite.

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ampress said:
Even a 4gb flash drive in the cck brings up the "not enough power" warning. Why?

Confused!

Depends on the drive, i have several, some of the same size, yet only some work, depends on the power they draw

Corsair flash voyager 2gb works for reference

That has become my ipad movie drive :)

OP
G

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying that if I don't like it, don't buy it. But you act as if I have a choice. One of the main reasons why I went with an ipad instead of another tablet is so I could access the itunes store which is supposed to have much more content than the Android market. And the only way to access the itunes market is to buy an Apple product (iphone, ipod, ipad). Believe me, if there was an alternative tablet that could access itunes, I'd have gone with that.

Also, you all keep making excuses for Apple, but not one person here can honestly say that they wouldn't be happy if Apple added an SD card slot. Sure, there is a camera kit, but that is nowhere near as convenient as an SD card slot would be.

Blueface

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying that if I don't like it, don't buy it. But you act as if I have a choice. One of the main reasons why I went with an ipad instead of another tablet is so I could access the itunes store which is supposed to have much more content than the Android market. And the only way to access the itunes market is to buy an Apple product (iphone, ipod, ipad). Believe me, if there was an alternative tablet that could access itunes, I'd have gone with that.

Also, you all keep making excuses for Apple, but not one person here can honestly say that they wouldn't be happy if Apple added an SD card slot. Sure, there is a camera kit, but that is nowhere near as convenient as an SD card slot would be.

Would have, should have, on and on.
Fact is it is what it is.

Sounds like you have a need for an Apple product (iTunes).
Sounds like you like iTunes better than the Android market.
Sounds like you like it better because it is a better supplier of products (Apps) for you.

So.............sure, there are a whole lot of things I probably could wish my iPad could do.
I wish it could brush my teeth and cook better meals than chef Ramsey.
However, when I bought it, I knew fully well it did not do any of those things.
Why moan about it then? Just enjoy it or don't buy it.
NOTHING in this world will ever suit everyone's needs.
You ask so I will answer, no, have not found a need yet for a card slot. Couldn't care less.

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USB connectors, removable media, removable batteries...

...not in our lifetime. ;)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, you all keep making excuses for Apple, but not one person here can honestly say that they wouldn't be happy if Apple added an SD card slot.

Well, I couldn't bother either way whether there was an SD slot or not. In fact, given that I wouldn't use it, one less slot means one less opportunity for dust and liquids to get inside the device. I'm sure it'll be useful for some users, but there already exists a workaround, so there's no compelling reason for Apple to do it.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The fact is blaming Apple because you were too cheap to get enough storage is lame. Apple makes no bones about what you get with an iPad. If you want an iPad, you are given a choice of two colors, three storage sizes, and with or without 3G. Apple makes choices of what to include with every device. Any ports require hardware and software to make it work. More hardware means more size, and more cost. You want an SD slot, someomne else wants a DVD player, another a USB port. Add a keyboard and it will be a MacBook Air.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't think Apple will ever do that. They don't want users to access file system. Once file system is exposed, all evil acts ;) like loading of pirated apps will start to happen, which in turn mean less money coming to Apple's pocket.

They need to look interest of shareholders before the consumers. :p

Um, I hate to break it to you, but of all of the systems of pirated apps I have ever seen, Apple's is by far the most extensive and streamlined. That is, among any other platform including the PC platform, the easiest and fastest and most complete pirating of apps that I have EVER seen was on iOS. We aren't allowed to talk about the program here, but rest assured that the pirating of apps is WAY beyond starting to happen. I don't think an app is released that isn't immediately pirated within the same day. I mean, not only does this pirated app store let you download and install the apps on the device, but it also allows you to sync them with itunes, check for updates and install them, etc, etc, etc. And believe me, it wouldn't be this polished and RIDICULOUSLY pervasive if there wasn't a TON of people using it.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GAMESHARQ said:

No one is making excuses for Apple that I can see. If you need to access the iTunes store Apple gives you many options, different Mac products running OSX and different iDevices running iOS. Or are you talking about the app store rather than iTunes? If you are saying that it is Apples fault that there are so many more apps available than on other platforms......well seriously, wouldn't you be better complaining about those other companies as they don't have the same vast array of apps available (and note that Apple make very few apps, the vast majority are from 3rd parties)?

As for the main theme and your comments about an SD card slot, you have so many other options, free cloud storage, paid cloud storage as well as Hyperdrives etc.

The iPad may not be what you want but they don't make it for you......they make it for all of us.

Oh, and to counter your statement, I can definitely say that I wouldn't be the slightest bit happier if they added an SD card slot as I have no need for SD cards.

The Archangel

Ampress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ampress said:
Even a 4gb flash drive in the cck brings up the "not enough power" warning. Why?

Confused!

Depends on the drive, i have several, some of the same size, yet only some work, depends on the power they draw

Corsair flash voyager 2gb works for reference

That has become my ipad movie drive :)
Thanks, I'll try that. When you use it for movies which app does it show up in?

fwdcode

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.feedrunnerapp.com
Cloud Storage

You could use cloud storage if your iPad doesn't have enough space for you. Log in and access your files. ie. Me.com I know that it is an extra expense but it is a solution.

Most reactions

Latest posts