What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will a skin cause any problems over the 3G antenna?

SDM44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but I just wanted to make sure and I did a search (a few with different key words) and didn't see anything about this.

I'm sure it's really no different than putting your 3G iPad into a fully enclosed case, but is there any reason why I should not put a skin (the peel & stick ones) on the back of a 3G iPad, covering up the 3G antenna black bar on the back side?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It shouldn't make any difference unless it's super thick or made out of some material that'll mess with radio waves.

Hdchiky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a skin on my first iPad for quite a while. Now I have a newer iPad and it already has one (see avatar) and I haven't noticed any issues.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the regular Apple case and there's no issue. All of the skins are non-metallic, so there's unlikely to be any problem. More of an issue is whether you're trying to use the iPad inside your car (metallic) or behind a serious obstruction (hill). Furthermore, the iPad and the 3G/GSM/CDMA basestation (aka cell tower) adjust their power output dynamically to compensate for signal attenuation.

Enjoy your iPad and have fun.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions