What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you use mobile me find my ipad if your 3g is deactivated?

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have searched all over and I can't find a straight answer to this question. I have an iPad 2 3G on Verizon. Today I turned off my wifi, turned on the data services so the little Verizon bars showed up in the upper left corner, I did not enter my credit card info or pay for any service. When I tried to find my iPad on MobileMe it just said "looking..." forever and did not find it. As soon as I turned wifi back on ... Boom it was found.

This tells me I need to activate the data service in order to use "find my iPad" ... Here are my questions:

1. Let's say I activate the Verizon service for a month, then, when the month is up, I deactivate it but leave my credit card info in the system... Will, I be able to find the iPad on MobileMe while Verizon 3G is deactivated?

2. Would I be able to go to Verizon's website and pay for my plan for that month thus remotely turning 3G on?

3. In order for this to work would I need to leave the 3G on all of the time?

4. Will leaving 3G on all the time, even if not in use or activated, cause my battery to empty faster?

I'm mostly concerned about theft. I'd like to be able to use my 3G like lojack... I use my iPad on the subway in NYC, and although I sit far away from the doors and tether the case to my book bag I accept that I'm at risk for snatching. So, I'm doing everything I can to minimize that possibility.

Anyone have answers to these questions?

Thank you.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have searched all over and I can't find a straight answer to this question. I have an iPad 2 3G on Verizon. Today I turned off my wifi, turned on the data services so the little Verizon bars showed up in the upper left corner, I did not enter my credit card info or pay for any service. When I tried to find my iPad on MobileMe it just said "looking..." forever and did not find it. As soon as I turned wifi back on ... Boom it was found.

This tells me I need to activate the data service in order to use "find my iPad" ... Here are my questions:

1. Let's say I activate the Verizon service for a month, then, when the month is up, I deactivate it but leave my credit card info in the system... Will, I be able to find the iPad on MobileMe while Verizon 3G is deactivated?

2. Would I be able to go to Verizon's website and pay for my plan for that month thus remotely turning 3G on?

3. In order for this to work would I need to leave the 3G on all of the time?

4. Will leaving 3G on all the time, even if not in use or activated, cause my battery to empty faster?

I'm mostly concerned about theft. I'd like to be able to use my 3G like lojack... I use my iPad on the subway in NYC, and although I sit far away from the doors and tether the case to my book bag I accept that I'm at risk for snatching. So, I'm doing everything I can to minimize that possibility.

Anyone have answers to these questions?

Thank you.

The iPad is primarily an Internet device so whoever snatches your iPad is going to want to connect to the Internet at some time or other - either by WiFi or 3G - so then your iPad will report its position.

However, I suspect that the 'FindMyPad' service is aimed primarily locating 'lost' rather than 'stolen' iPads - perhaps you mislaid the iPad while you were away for the weekend - did I leave it in my hotel room, in my rental car etc and where you hope that it's found by some honest person...

It would be interesting to hear of Forum members experiences with the 'FindMyPad' feature of MobileMe. Has anyone recovered their iPad this way? Had it been simply 'lost' or 'stolen'?

Welcome to the Forum...I hope your iPad never does get snatched...

Tim
Scotland

Jmoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
apparently you do need internet connection for the Find feature to work. I had the same issue and ended up finding some answers on the Apple support site. Reference TS2734

support.apple.com/kb/TS2734

drbf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you must have an internet connection for the program to function. Once located the program probably uses the GPS chip for location?

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you Internet connection for Find my IPad to work then thatbpretty much negates the value of the app to prevent stealing.
The thief would just need to remove the sim card.

Next question: What if they then put in a new SIM from another provider?

Reaction score
Biggysmallz said:
If you Internet connection for Find my IPad to work then thatbpretty much negates the value of the app to prevent stealing.
The thief would just need to remove the sim card.

Next question: What if they then put in a new SIM from another provider?
FindMyiPhone is not ideal for tracking stolen devices, it is of more use to track lost ones.

As long as the device is connected to the Internet Wifi, or any 3G can the location be transmitted.

However, it is fairly easy to turn it off for any potential thief:
-disable location services
-disconnect from the Internet
-turn off the device
-delete findmyiphone and the MobileMe account
-travel to Korea

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
-travel to Korea

Not this option, mate - I was in S Korea only last December, and they have the most wired (and unwired) infrastructure of just about any country in Asia, if not the globe.

Reaction score
tzimisce said:
Not this option, mate - I was in S Korea only last December, and they have the most wired (and unwired) infrastructure of just about any country in Asia, if not the globe.

It was meant as a joke, as Apple is legally not allowed to enable the FindMyiPhone service in Korea due to security concerns.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
It was meant as a joke, as Apple is legally not allowed to enable the FindMyiPhone service in Korea due to security concerns.

Yes, of course. Only not able to locate their misplaced device, though. All other Find My iPhone features still available (Display a Message, Play a Sound, Remote Lock, and Remote Wipe) -- http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2734

Most reactions

Latest posts