What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi Tether a Motorola Droid to an iPad

fairoasis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I flashed back to 2.0.1 and ran DMUpdater to root the phone, but no matter how many times I try the Volume Up and Camera button together it never loads the menu you need for the next step. Phone starts fine though if not entering Recovery mode so I'm at a loss.

I had the same problem. It took me 6 attempts to get it right. It was a matter of timing and coordination I guess. I eventually succeeded, and I'm running a rooted Droid with 2.1 and tethering using Barnacle.

EE_Chris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I flashed back to 2.0.1 and ran DMUpdater to root the phone, but no matter how many times I try the Volume Up and Camera button together it never loads the menu you need for the next step. Phone starts fine though if not entering Recovery mode so I'm at a loss.

Power off the phone. Open the keyboard. Hold the letter X. While holding X, press and hold the power button. When the white 'M' appears, you may let go of the power button and only the power button. Eventually a triangle icon appears. Let go of X at this point. Close the keyboard. Press and hold Volume UP first, then press the camera button. The recovery menu should show instantly.

AZRaptor

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I had the same problem. It took me 6 attempts to get it right. It was a matter of timing and coordination I guess. I eventually succeeded, and I'm running a rooted Droid with 2.1 and tethering using Barnacle.

how are you at 2.1 now, did you just let the update go or did you load a custom ROM?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Works great for me....wifi at work has been HORRIBLE (like 400-500kbps) so I started tethering to my droid when speeds get unbearable. I've been averaging about 1.5Mbps using my droid....which is fast enough to do any web surfing and even watch netflix, ABC and Air Video!

AZRaptor

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I followed EE Chris' Droid 2.1 link and got it working with 2.1. Love this setup!

fairoasis

iPF Noob
Reaction score

how are you at 2.1 now, did you just let the update go or did you load a custom ROM?
When I did the root, I went back to 2.0.1 and then installed the roooted version of 2.1.

Most reactions