What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi range

svmerlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
wi-fi strength is determined by your router, not by your ipad.

That is only half of it. The router determines how much signal strength there is where the iPad is located. The iPad antenna and receiver determine how much signal gets into the iPad.

Think of it like at a concert. The orchestra puts lots of sound where you are, but put in good earplugs and not much gets to your brain.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iPad 1 and 2, and we have two separate wifi networks set up in our primary home. My experience with wifi range between the two iPads has been consistent. That's also been true with the single wifi network that we have set up at a vacation home.

Every once in awhile, one fewer bar might display on one of my iPads over another, but that's not a reliable indicator.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is only half of it. The router determines how much signal strength there is where the iPad is located. The iPad antenna and receiver determine how much signal gets into the iPad.

Think of it like at a concert. The orchestra puts lots of sound where you are, but put in good earplugs and not much gets to your brain.

I'd have to agree with you. I don't think that it is just the modem/ router that can be the sole issue. Prior to having an ipad2, I had an acer iconia tab which failed to connect in my great room which was 2 floors below. Finally returned that and replaced it with the ipad2. Wifi connection significantly better, actually excellent. No change to the modem, router, interior of the home to contribute to that change.

For me it was a change in device brand vs a change in the router.

HowBoutThemPack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, so outside of changing my router, which is fairly new anyway, are there any other remedies for this? Any tweaks for a jailbroken iPad 2?

Sent from my jailbroken iPad2 using iPF

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not familiar with the tweaks for a jailbroken iPad. Mine is a stock iPad. I saw another post that you started regarding your wifi connection. I am not sure if mine has ever achieved and/or maintained 100% connection. For me, there are a lot of interior home factors which help to drop the signal intensity. Even more so when paired with a mobile device with reported wifi antenna issues.

Personally, I did not have to replace my router or modem. It was simply replacing the droid tablet to the ipad which worked for me.

Though, I have never experienced my wifi drop completely with my ipad. Have you?

HowBoutThemPack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
I am not familiar with the tweaks for a jailbroken iPad. Mine is a stock iPad. I saw another post that you started regarding your wifi connection. I am not sure if mine has ever achieved and/or maintained 100% connection. For me, there are a lot of interior home factors which help to drop the signal intensity. Even more so when paired with a mobile device with reported wifi antenna issues.

Personally, I did not have to replace my router or modem. It was simply replacing the droid tablet to the ipad which worked for me.

Though, I have never experienced my wifi drop completely with my ipad. Have you?

No, I haven't ever had my wi-fi drop completely. I honestly don't see a huge difference in speed when my connection lacks a little bit. Right now my router is on the top floor ( only because it's hooked to my main pc), and I'm on the opposite side of my house on the middle floor. My connection is about 65-75%. I just find it odd that it never can achieve full connection!

JodiJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This morning I lost all Internet connection it is now 1 pm and the Internet just started again! I love the iPad but it can be stressful. I reset all my settings and shut the springboard down. I have tried everything. I hope this is not going to be an expensive fix. I have a small fortune invested in this iPad. JJ

Good luck everyone!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I haven't ever had my wi-fi drop completely. I honestly don't see a huge difference in speed when my connection lacks a little bit. Right now my router is on the top floor ( only because it's hooked to my main pc), and I'm on the opposite side of my house on the middle floor. My connection is about 65-75%. I just find it odd that it never can achieve full connection!

It sounds like the same home setting as mine-however, I am on the third floor and my router is 1st on the opposite side of the home. We just put in a new addition to our home, which creates more obstacles for the wifi signal to pass and connect. Brick walls, steel, other devices interfering all can contribute to reducing the signal. I do not know the actual wifi percentage for my iPad, but do reach about 80% with my droid phone. Whatever the percentage is for my iPad, I am pleased for what it does for me.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HowBoutThemPack said:

Depending on the size of your home, that would be about right in those circumstances actually. Based on personal experiences you're not likely to have a full signal unless you're pretty close to the AP or directly under it.

Most reactions

Latest posts