What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi Performance

mossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but I haven't read about this particular issue so I'd thought I'd post for feedback . . .

My Wifi connection has generally been quite reliable. I've never dropped a signal in my home. However there has been one issue. Sometimes, not always, when I launch the ipad from stand-by mode the wifi connection is not on. What's unusual about this is that if I launch any native iPad app (such as Safari, or Maps, etc.) the Wifi just reconnects as the app launches without a hitch. However for non-native apps the connection does not reestablish itself on app launch.

I consider this a really minor issue as all I need to do to get my wifi back is open an app and then press home. That solves the problem. However I thought I would see if there is a fix nonetheless.

Again, I know there have been wifi issues, espicially with the non-3G models (mine is a 3G), but I haven't heard of this specific issue before.

ayerbusiness

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have problems with my iPad wifi because it really works well for me. If you have problems wit your wifi connection, maybe your router is the one to blame. You should check if your home router is working.

OP
M

mossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My router is in great shape. It's one of the best routers on the market, and it works flawlessly with my other devices (computers, PS3, Squeezebox radios, etc.). And actually, except for this one thing, the iPad as well.

A slight correction to my original post, I tried to launch wifi by looking at my mail (in another native app) and that didn't work. So it's just Safari and App Store that I have confirmed triggers the wifi to connect again. Strange.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yup wifi works great for me, the only issue I've had is occasionally when I open RockApp for some reason it will say I have the wrong wifi password, asking to enter it...I don't I just go to settings and retap the wifi and its fine.

Not sure whats causing that.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let's know a bit more about your setup. Security? Is everything auto or do you have fixed ip. G or N? How far from router are you when it happens.

Myipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi issue

My iPad does weird thing sometimes like it's connected to wifi, but can't download data. I have to turn off and on wifi.

Anyone has the same issue?

Rocket

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi

Hi I live in Canada and have been wanting a Ipad, for the internet and games and notes and such, it seems like a really neat machine. I already have had an Imac for 2 years and love it , the thing is I can't believe the problems people have been having with the Wifi , I guess the thought of me buying one and having nothing but aggravation with it has got the best of me for now, I went and bought a new 13 macbook pro which is really sweet. I will wait for the second or third generation Ipad before I buy .

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wifi is usually off when I return from sleep. I have to go into settings and select my network (even though it's the only saved network available) to get the wifi up again. The wifi also drops randomly while web browsing, such as in the middle of writing a thread post. Sometimes it comes back automatically, but usually I have to go into settings to select my network again. I don't get it, if there is only one saved network available then I wish the iPad would automatically connect to it (like it says it will in the wifi settings screen). Hopefully the next update will fix the wifi hiccups.

*sigh* Wifi disconnected when I tried to first post this. Had to manually select my network again.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WiFi works extremely well for me, I've use over two dozen WiFi routers over time and not one glitch or problem yet.

clarkee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wifi has been working well at all times in my house, where I have an airport base station, and in several other locations with wifi.

But today I visited my mums house and after signing in to the wireless, the iPad didn't see it. I turned wifi on the iPad on and off and no more problems for the rest of the day.

I put it down to the fact that the router is crap! As it's a cheap one I bought just for when i visit. I know that's not really much help to the OP, but I'm convinced it was due to the poor router I had an issue.

jenna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no issues at all with the routter in my home, however when using my mobile wifi modem, the connection drops out if unused for a period of time. I figure this is due to the wirless modem needing to manage battery life and shutting of. Also used it at a freind's home with no issues over a five hour period. So far haven't tried any public wifi hot spots.

tel1drc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wifi drops all the time

wifi keeps dropping on home router. have to keep re-typing password to stay on. that is annoying. is there a fix for that yet?

also does not always pick up wifi networks when not at home. can see it and shows it's connected but cannot use email or internet..help!!

mcbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Imhave no problems with wifi at all on my iPad. I have a Cisco router at home, a linksys at work, and I think my parents have a linksys, too. All of the work flawlessly. We don't have any security on at home, but it is on at work. I only entered the security info once, now it connects at work as soon as I pull into my parking space.

Mine is a 3G model, for what its worth.

I have never had to reconnect or turn wifi back on. Maybe just good luck?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I have had zero issues.

mossman check the following.

#1 look up your router model online and see if it is a dual band router. If so that could be your issue (software issue apple will fix in next software update)
#2 Go into settings and then under brightness. Move the brightness bar away from zero (i have mine at about 50%) and turn Auto Brightness off. Apple has confirmed an issue with autobrightness setting somehow effecting wifi speeds and reliability.(should hopefully be fixed in a software update)

Even though I have had zero issues with my ipad and wifi(multiple hotspots) after turning off autobrightness i saw a 6X speed increase.

Most reactions

Latest posts