What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi keeps disconnecting on Ipad Air

Dlh1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got a 128g IPad Air, but I am having a serious problem with my Wifi staying connected. I have done all of the fixes I could find on the internet, but the wifi still disconnects frequently. I love the new Ipad Air but it is completely useless like this. This is what I have tried several times.

Update firmware on Actiontec gt70wg
Changed WEP to WPA
Reset network settings on Ipad
Made sure router is set to mixed mode
Adjusted screen brightness
Airplane mode is off

I have an Ipad 3 and an Ipad Mini that stay connected fine. Any more suggestions would be great. Thanks

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You might find a few useful suggestions in this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398

In addition, also try the usual fixes, when your iPad isn't behaving as it should:

Restart it: turn it off, wait for a few minutes, turn it on again.
Reset it: press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, then release both and let the iPad start on it's own.
Force close apps: double tap Home button/four finger swipe to reveal multitask bar, then slide thumbnails above app icons towards the top of the screen.

Another kind of reset might be of help:
In Settings - General - Reset - Reset all Settings. You'll have to setup all the settings again, afterwards.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A simple answer is take it to Apple store or another wifi location and try to connect. I am not familiar with that type of wifi modem but history shows some modem routers can have issues with new technology. One thing that may work is change the wifi channel on the modem as you may have interference. I understand others connect ok however the iPad Air has the latest type of wifi on board and that compatibility may be an issue. I have had no problems on our routers at work with iPad air so cannot give you any further update.

OP
D

Dlh1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, looks like the problem is definitely my router. I took my Ipad over to my Mom's house who has FIOS and the connection stayed connected the entire time. Any suggestions on buying a new router?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well at least you have completed trouble shooting stage 3 congratulations. I suggest purchasing a dual band wifi modem that has the latest wifi that the iPad air has installed. Not only will it work but also at much faster connection speeds than your existing modem. In order to answer your question please advise how many iPads, iPhones or I devices and any other devices connected to your network. Do you have game toys like play station and xbox... Do you stream movies from the net or down load movies etc..... Do you have a smart tv.... On the net...... Do you know how to make soft shell crab as that is my favourite........ Whoops wrong forum lol. Your move....

Oh one more thing the air has. Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n); dual channel (2.4GHz and 5GHz) and MIMO
So an equivalent modem router will make it fly......assuming you have a good internet connection.

Oh and something funny you think you have problems think about our poor kangaroos whom have kanga-fi. Which is now known not to be compatible with the iPad air...... http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-gene...alian-government-orders-40-million-ipads.html

JayMcBee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes all that helps here is rebooting the iPad and the router..

Cheers,
Jan

OP
D

Dlh1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got a newer router from Verizon today. Internet connection problem solved.

Most reactions

Latest posts