What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi Ipad on an airplane?

JBUNGIE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Newbie here...

Taking a trip in a few weeks and I was looking foward to using my new Ipad Wifi on the flight. Has anyone had an issues with airlines telling them to put the pad away? I only want to use it for movies & games.

Also, why dont the non 3G ipads have airplane mode? Is it as simlpe as shutting off the Wifi on the non 3G pads?

Thanks!

OP
J

JBUNGIE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about for those that dont have Wifi..will they still let me use the other features?

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What it actually boils down to is the discretion of the cabin crew. If they tell you to turn it off, you may be able to argue with them but one way or the other, you'll have to turn it of or face consequences. It's that way with any electronic device.

OP
J

JBUNGIE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It shouldnt interfere with the plane as long as I turn off the WiFi & Bluetooth correct?

Why is it that the non 3g version doesn not have airplane mode?

Thanks for the help guys!

lp1968

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It shouldnt interfere with the plane as long as I turn off the WiFi & Bluetooth correct?

Why is it that the non 3g version doesn not have airplane mode?

Thanks for the help guys!

It should not interfere! If you turn it off during take off, landing and off course turn off Wifi you should have no problem using it to play games, watch a movie, listen to music or whatever. Also if you are on Airtran or another Airline that offers Wifi you could use it online as well!:)

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
and there are airlines in StarAlliance, which offer WiFi-Internet-Access (once reached cruising altitude) for $45/flight.

So you should be safe.

CPMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've taken several flights with my wifi iPad with zero issues. Shut it off on take-off/landing and keep wifi and Bluetooth off the whole time (unless the flight offers wifi). iPad usually draws a decent level of attention (at least for now) but all the flight attendants I've talked to knew what the device was. Big bonus for those of us that fly a lot is that Homeland Security usually allows you to leave the iPad in your bag/carrying case. I don't miss having to pull my MacBook pro out and watch it flop around that plastic tray on its way through the xray machine.

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I fly to and from Tokyo to Texas, I've never had problems with a flight crew...actually, they all want to see it! LOL

Most reactions

Latest posts