What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airplane mode and 3G

hollyro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are flying and have the Ipad2 but have not paid to activate the 3G. Will we still be able to use the apps/movies/games/books on the airplane? I know you go into airplane mode- but will it work if we havent activated the 3G?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have the movies loaded onto your iPad then there's no problem. To test it out, try activating 'Airplane' mode now and see if you can play the movies. For sure, there's no need to have a 3G account...

Tim

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Airplain mode is nothing more the one switch that turns off all of the following in one step;

1. 3G service
  2. WiFi
  3. Bluetooth
  4. GPS

You could could turn off each of them manual and you would do the same thing.

That being said I have never put my IPAD in airplane mode while on a flight, then again I do not enable wifi, 3G, or blue tooth services.

BTW I'm a pilot:D

OP
H

hollyro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
airplane mode..

hi- thanks- my husband is a pilot and is in dubai now- trying to play with the ipad but has not tried it on the plane yet. We are taking our 21 month on 4 international flights so want to be sure we can use this new toy to keep her occupied. Im still trying to get whats on the machine and what apps work without the internet being active.

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hi- thanks- my husband is a pilot and is in dubai now- trying to play with the ipad but has not tried it on the plane yet. We are taking our 21 month on 4 international flights so want to be sure we can use this new toy to keep her occupied. Im still trying to get whats on the machine and what apps work without the internet being active.
Also, if you are on a plane with WiFi (I know how GoGo works in the US) then you can turn on the WiFi switch, pay whatever fees, and use your iPad that way.

maggs2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a newbie, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I just got a Ipad 2 (wifi/3g). We do a lot of international and plane travel. My understanding is if we haven't purchased a 3G plan, we can just use it when we have a hotspot on the wifi. no charges (unless we have to pay for the hot spot). As far as on the plane, my understanding is since we haven't purchased a 3g plan, it won't even try to connect on 3g, and we can just use the airplane wifi just like we were at home. Unless someone wants more constant internet access,... for us, periodic wifi is fine. This should work fine right?

I know this is a ipad site... but just in case someone knows... I'll ask. We have a Iphone 3gs and a Iphone 4. I am assuming that if we put it in airplane mode before leaving the US, then manually turn on WiFi, we can use both phones when we have a WiFi hotspot ... without any charges (unless we have to pay for the Hotspot). I've read lots of contradictory posts on this subject and if we try it the way I'm describing,... could be a expensive mistake if I'm wrong. So does anyone know if this method with the iphones will work? No data or international etc... charges... right?

Last edited:

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Right. if you leave the 3G off, then there are no NETWORK charges for WiFi. Only charges if the hot spot charges for local access. I was in Paris a couple of months ago, and turned 3G data OFF on my iPad 2; but was able to do everything else in my hotel, at cafes, etc.

Most reactions

Latest posts