What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi Help

Ravenkeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK. I really wasn't sure what section to start this thread in, so if this was posted in the wrong section I apologize. Anyway, I am wanting to get an iPad in an attempt to downsize my life. I am not the computer/internet junkie that I use to be, and everything I do on this PC I can do on an iPad. I would have more use for an iPad, than I would a PC computer.

Meanwhile, I need to know a little more about WiFi. One: What all do I need to get, to have WiFi in my home? Two: How much does a WiFi internet service cost? With the second one I did do a Google search on the price of internet access through WiFi, and I got mixed messages. Some say you do have to pay a monthly fee; and, some are saying you don't pay anything. Why is there mixed messages on the cost of internet access through WiFi?

Also, if I have MiFi, do I need to have WiFi installed in my home; or, will this make an adequate WiFi substitute.

I apologize for my HUGE ignorance, but the truth is I have never used WiFi, nor had WiFi enabled devices on my computer. This is totally alien to me.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ravenkeep said:
OK. I really wasn't sure what section to start this thread in, so if this was posted in the wrong section I apologize. Anyway, I am wanting to get an iPad in an attempt to downsize my life. I am not the computer/internet junkie that I use to be, and everything I do on this PC I can do on an iPad. I would have more use for an iPad, than I would a PC computer.

Meanwhile, I need to know a little more about WiFi. One: What all do I need to get, to have WiFi in my home? Two: How much does a WiFi internet service cost? With the second one I did do a Google search on the price of internet access through WiFi, and I got mixed messages. Some say you do have to pay a monthly fee; and, some are saying you don't pay anything. Why is there mixed messages on the cost of internet access through WiFi?

Also, if I have MiFi, do I need to have WiFi installed in my home; or, will this make an adequate WiFi substitute.

I apologize for my HUGE ignorance, but the truth is I have never used WiFi, nor had WiFi enabled devices on my computer. This is totally alien to me.

Here goes......

For wifi in the home you need either a wifi router or as you have obviously seen, something like a MiFi.

All the router does is take your broadband feed and turn it into a wireless signal, now, I'm making a huge leap here but as you have posted on here I'm guessing you currently have wired Internet access, if so and it is broadband then you just need the router, if you don't already have wired Internet access then it's a case of finding a broadband provider for your area and signing up, most will give you a free wifi router as they will recoup the cost on your monthly service payments. A search of Amazon or similar places for a wireless (or wifi) router will give you an idea of the cost which is one off, your wired Internet access will stay as it is.

MiFi is a device which turns a mobile (phone) 3G signal into a wireless signal, it won't be as fast as wired broadband but allows you to use your wifi devices anywhere (where there is a 3G signal). For full time use it could get quite expensive as mobile data costs can be quite high but if you travel a lot then it may be worth looking into.

So, the bottom line is, the wifi element is relatively cheap and easy to sort out as it is just a device that converts your broadband connection into a wireless signal. The actual broadband/3G service is where the expense comes from and to determine the best will be dependent on how much data you use and where you use it combined with who provides coverage in your area.

The Archangel

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Here goes......

For wifi in the home you need either a wifi router or as you have obviously seen, something like a MiFi.

All the router does is take your broadband feed and turn it into a wireless signal, now, I'm making a huge leap here but as you have posted on here I'm guessing you currently have wired Internet access, if so and it is broadband then you just need the router, if you don't already have wired Internet access then it's a case of finding a broadband provider for your area and signing up, most will give you a free wifi router as they will recoup the cost on your monthly service payments. A search of Amazon or similar places for a wireless (or wifi) router will give you an idea of the cost which is one off, your wired Internet access will stay as it is.

MiFi is a device which turns a mobile (phone) 3G signal into a wireless signal, it won't be as fast as wired broadband but allows you to use your wifi devices anywhere (where there is a 3G signal). For full time use it could get quite expensive as mobile data costs can be quite high but if you travel a lot then it may be worth looking into.

So, the bottom line is, the wifi element is relatively cheap and easy to sort out as it is just a device that converts your broadband connection into a wireless signal. The actual broadband/3G service is where the expense comes from and to determine the best will be dependent on how much data you use and where you use it combined with who provides coverage in your area.

The Archangel

Nicely put Archangel, clear and accurate.

OP
R

Ravenkeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Awwww, it looks like WiFi isn't what I thought it was.:(
That is too bad. I was wanting my iPad to replace my computer. However, from what your telling me Gabriel1, to have WiFi I would need a computer with an existing ISP. I thought WiFi was its own Internet Service. Well, I knew when I started to get all excited that this was a plan that was going to be a bust.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ravenkeep said:
Awwww, it looks like WiFi isn't what I thought it was.:(
That is too bad. I was wanting my iPad to replace my computer. However, from what your telling me Gabriel1, to have WiFi I would need a computer with an existing ISP. I thought WiFi was its own Internet Service. Well, I knew when I started to get all excited that this was a plan that was going to be a bust.

So what do you have at the moment......any form of broadband at all?

The Archangel

OP
R

Ravenkeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. I have a Windows PC and DSL (i.e. AT&T Uverse) However, my plan was to get rid of my computer and downsize everything. With the release of iOS 5 I thought that would be possible, but I see that can't be done now.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ravenkeep said:
Yes. I have a Windows PC and DSL (i.e. AT&T Uverse) However, my plan was to get rid of my computer and downsize everything. With the release of iOS 5 I thought that would be possible, but I see that can't be done now.

With iOS 5 that is certainly possible......sounds like you have a wired DSL, you would just need a wireless router (and I believe a PC until iOS 5 is on your iPad).....iOS 5 is due for release in the fall.....my best guess, September to tie in with iPhone 5 release (that's some assumption!).

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the DSL router is supplied by your ISP, give them a call. They should be able to replace it with a Wi-Fi capable one that will work with both your computer and the iPad.

You'll have to wait for iOS 5 to ditch the computer, and even then I'd hang on to it. It's always good to have a second machine, just in case your primary gear gets lost, stolen, or broken.

OP
R

Ravenkeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I was wanting to get rid of my computer and my ISP and just use iPad/WiFi; because, I thought WiFi was a stand alone, independent, internet service. However, from what you all are telling me, WiFi is nothing more than a conduit to my existing ISP which is dependent on my computer to exist. If that is the case, iPad even with iOS 5 could never fully work 100% without my computer, because it would need my computer to have an ISP.

I guess I could get MiFi, but I was going to get iPad WiFi + 3G, so what would be the point. A 3G service to go with my 3G service. lol Plus, from what I have heard about MiFi you can rack up a HUGE bill if you are not watching your bandwidth meter carefully.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ravenkeep said:
Well, I was wanting to get rid of my computer and my ISP and just use iPad/WiFi; because, I thought WiFi was a stand alone, independent, internet service. However, from what you all are telling me, WiFi is nothing more than a conduit to my existing ISP which is dependent on my computer to exist. If that is the case, iPad even with iOS 5 could never fully work 100% without my computer, because it would need my computer to have an ISP.

I guess I could get MiFi, but I was going to get iPad WiFi + 3G, so what would be the point. A 3G service to go with my 3G service. lol Plus, from what I have heard about MiFi you can rack up a HUGE bill if you are not watching your bandwidth meter carefully.

No, your computer doesn't have an ISP. Your DSL service requires an ISP, your computer is just an input/output device at the end of the wire. The wireless router just takes the end of that wire and and puts the signal into the air all around you. Then your iPad or any other wireless device including PC's can just suck it out of the air. So with iOS 5 you really don't need a PC.

Edit: the reason I mentioned the mifi is because you asked about it.....if you had said 3G iPad I wouldn't have even said anything about it.

The Archangel

Last edited:

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think Gabriel is trying to give you *good* news, you *can* theoretically operate the iPad without another computer once iOS 5 is out. I believe that a DSL subscription from AT&T is running about $15 per month (a promotional price which roughly doubles after it expires). You would have to buy a router/modem (the standard no brainer set-up model from AT&T runs about $100, but if you want to do this yourself you can cut the price). The problem is that you would need to set up the iPad and later on sync through your present computer until iOS 5 comes out.

The MIFi you could use only on the road where a WiFi hotspot is not available in order to avoid using up your allotted bandwidth. The WiFi in your home would be unlimited. If you intend to keep the MIFI device going, the 3G model would not be necessary and you could do it all with a WiFi only iPad.

I'm assuming that you are in the U.S. where there are many other options besides AT&T.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
info said:
I think Gabriel is trying to give you *good* news

I am, I really am!

Ok, I'll try simplified.......

When iOS 5 arrives, hopefully in just over a month, connect iPad to PC and upgrade the iOS.

Connect a wireless router to the incoming DSL line.

Go to settings on your iPad, then WiFi, it should automatically find your router, put in password (normally on a sticker on the back or base of the router).

Go to Safari and check it's working.

Take PC to your garage/shed and allow it to collect dust for eternity.

Lay back on sofa, drink coffee and browse, email, etc until Apple bring out the latest retinal implant computer with internal head up display?

The Archangel

OP
R

Ravenkeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Edit: the reason I mentioned the mifi is because you asked about it.....if you had said 3G iPad I wouldn't have even said anything about it.

Yea, I wanted to bring it up. I wasn't complaining about the option, I just didn't know anything about the option. So instead of double postings I was trying to kill two birds with one stone.

Speaking of MiFi. Just how fast does the bandwidth get used up? Keep in mind I am not a movie viewer on the the internet, nor do I listen to music much at all (maybe once, yes one day, a month or two). Quick YouTube videos... Maybe. Usually just when I am trying to learn something about a subject the requires a visual aid.

Most reactions

Latest posts