What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi connectivity: WEP vs WAP (and neither works)

LeeB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First off, the only WiFi I have is Verizon FIOS. I have it at home, at work, and at my boss's house. I haven't tried hotspots, so I'm not sure how that reacts.

The problem is the iPad won't remember the password for the WiFi. Worse, now it won't even connect. Originally, the router was set up for WEP; Apple Support said they were having problems with Verizon, change the router to WAP, which was done. But now it's worse than it was with WEP. The only GOOD thing is that the WAP password is easier to remember than the WEP :rolleyes: .

This is happening on all 3 of the iPads we're using. It's gotten so bad (with the pop-ups), I had to shut off WiFi and work off 3g. Apple Support doesn't seem to have the answer, so I thought the good people here might be able to offer a work-around?

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Have you tried without WEP or WAP? I use Mac address filtering and have zero problems.... but then again I'm not on Verizon...

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Have you tried without WEP or WAP? I use Mac address filtering and have zero problems.... but then again I'm not on Verizon...

Thats a bad idea as far as security goes. Would only take a minute or two to gain access to your network with only MAC filtering on.

It may be the access points that Verizon is providing that are doing something strange. You may want to look into turning off your Verizon wifi and purchasing a new wifi router or access point for about $30

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know Mac is crap security but then my neighbours ain't that bright :)

That said wep can also be cracked if they really want to.

Security is only relative and I wouldn't trust any of mine........

OP
L

LeeB

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thats a bad idea as far as security goes. Would only take a minute or two to gain access to your network with only MAC filtering on.

It may be the access points that Verizon is providing that are doing something strange. You may want to look into turning off your Verizon wifi and purchasing a new wifi router or access point for about $30

Because I'm using FIOS (a fiber optic system), I don't think I have the option of bypassing Verizon's router. The operational phrase is "I don't think": I'll have to call them and ask, I guess.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I know Mac is crap security but then my neighbours ain't that bright :)

That said wep can also be cracked if they really want to.

Security is only relative and I wouldn't trust any of mine........

So true... Any security can easily be beaten by those who know how. I went to Mac filtering after I realized the School district I was working for used it, with great success. It was their only security for 12 campuses and over 40 WIFI access points.... only 1 time in the 8 years I was there was it breached (they knew by logs and such) and they quickly cut that one off.....

I think it would be safe to say 95% of people don't even know what a Mac address is..... much less a spoofer.....

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Because I'm using FIOS (a fiber optic system), I don't think I have the option of bypassing Verizon's router. The operational phrase is "I don't think": I'll have to call them and ask, I guess.

What you do is leave your Verizon Router in place for FIOS.
Turn WIFI on the Verizon router off.
Connect the new router to one of the eithernet cable ports on the Verizon router. Example: computer port 1 on new router would connect to computer port 1 on verizon router and they would then communicate and share internet.

So your new wifi router then gets internet access from your Vernon router and allows your wireless devices to connect with this new, better wifi router.

dearbee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to turn off wifi on my verizon fios actiontec router by plugging in my laptop to the router by wire, typing 192.168.1.1 which got me into the verizon site. Username: admin and tried password and password1 but both failed. I also noticed that I could not manually type in the password as every keystroke I made it was like 4 or 5 characters were being entered.

Anyway I simply copied and pasted the password into the password field but all I got was fail message. Is it possible that the verizon technician who installed it changed the password?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
yeah the default username should be admin and the default password should be password. However the tech may have set it to something else like password1 or admin.

try the usernam/passwrod admin/admin

if the router they provided is a D-Link you can try the username admin and leave the password blank.

If all else fails you can always hold the reset button on the router and reset the router to factory settings and the password will go back to password.

Most reactions

Latest posts