What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wifi connections

MzReborn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm buying a ipad 2 wifi and I wanted to know if there is anyway I can get wifi on the go. I heard about a service called boingo has anyone tried it?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you are but I have a wifi only iPad and I use a mifi to provide me with a connection while on the go. It converts a 3G (or 4G) cellular connection to wifi. I can also tether from my iPhone.

The Archangel

OP
M

MzReborn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I heard of that but I don't want to jailbreak anything

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm buying a ipad 2 wifi and I wanted to know if there is anyway I can get wifi on the go. I heard about a service called boingo has anyone tried it?

Hi MzReborn - welcome to the forum! :) I have an iPad 2 w/ Wi-Fi only and use the device (w/ a Bluetooth KB) when on the road - invariably stay @ places w/ Wi-Fi, either in the room and/or in the main buildings - this is usually a 'free' offering. Now if you want internet contact while in a vehicle or in a locale w/o Wi-Fi, then Gabriel's suggestions are a good consideration, i.e. using a 'cellular' connection to establish a Wi-Fi hotspot; the downside is the typical added expense - might be an extra charge on the cellular phone or w/ Mi-Fi, a monthly contract, although I believe there are 'pay as you go' options (in fact, I must look into the latter!) - good luck and let us know what you did! Dave

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi MzReborn - welcome to the forum! :) I have an iPad 2 w/ Wi-Fi only and use the device (w/ a Bluetooth KB) when on the road - invariably stay @ places w/ Wi-Fi, either in the room and/or in the main buildings - this is usually a 'free' offering. Now if you want internet contact while in a vehicle or in a locale w/o Wi-Fi, then Gabriel's suggestions are a good consideration, i.e. using a 'cellular' connection to establish a Wi-Fi hotspot; the downside is the typical added expense - might be an extra charge on the cellular phone or w/ Mi-Fi, a monthly contract, although I believe there are 'pay as you go' options (in fact, I must look into the latter!) - good luck and let us know what you did! Dave

Yes, the mifi I use is a PAYG type, mainly because I won't use it for a couple of months and then I find myself needing it daily.

The Archangel

quake5254

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try switching off your modem and router for a minute then switching it on again. Hope that works..

OP
M

MzReborn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: I have a iPad Retina Display wifi version. I still can't find a way to tether or find wifi out where I am ( out in the middle of no where), boingo doesn't have service out here I'm to far away. I'm in the US and I need wifi or tethering. mywi sounds good but I don't want to jailbreak or unlock anything. any other wifi service out there?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: I have a iPad Retina Display wifi version. I still can't find a way to tether or find wifi out where I am ( out in the middle of no where), boingo doesn't have service out here I'm to far away. I'm in the US and I need wifi or tethering. mywi sounds good but I don't want to jailbreak or unlock anything. any other wifi service out there?

Ok, to be clear, you don't need to jailbreak your iPad for it to receive a wifi signal from any other source.

If you have a mobile phone do you get a clear cellular signal?

The Archangel

OP
M

MzReborn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes my phone has 3G but its the old unlimited 3G

Most reactions

Latest posts