What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 questions

melsnel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, does anyone know if you need to be connected to wifi to subscribe to th 3G service? I don't want to buy a month of coverage unless I happen to be somewhere that I find doesn't have wifi but nor do I want to be somewhere and want to use my device only to find out I have no Internet.

Second, how do I add a picture to my iPad forum profile?

Thanks!

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
You will want to wait on subscribing. When you want 3G service, sign up at that point. And no, you dont have to have a WiFi connection to subscribe.

One thing you can do is to subscribe to the 250mb plan for $15 to try it out and make sure to turn off the auto-renew. That is what I did the first month, but have had it in use ever since and always get within 50-100 mb of the 2g plan. But, I do have a commute to and from work, so it is nice to be able to be online the whole time.

As for a photo, hit the User CP link at the very top. you can make all changes to your user account there.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, does anyone know if you need to be connected to wifi to subscribe to th 3G service? I don't want to buy a month of coverage unless I happen to be somewhere that I find doesn't have wifi but nor do I want to be somewhere and want to use my device only to find out I have no Internet.

Second, how do I add a picture to my iPad forum profile?

Thanks!

In the UK, you can buy a 'blank' pay-as-you-go microSIM for nothing. It has no data allowance on it but it always allows you to surf to the service providers web site so that you can overcome exactly the problem that you mention. If you need to access the service provider's web site and you have no data allowance and there's no WiFi....

So I'm not sure if all service providers have this facility - i.e. always allowing you to surf to their website even if your card has 'run out' or not even been activated, but - for sure - some do. So it's probably worth checking with the company before you take the SIM card - plus, look at the coverage maps to make sure your area is covered.

To post a picture in your profile, you need to do this from the web browser interface - i.e not the iPad Forum app.

Use Safari to go to iPad Forum and, when you've logged in, click on the 'User CP' button that's towards the top of the screen. That opens up a side bar on the left-hand side of the screen and, from there, you can do all sorts of good stuff - including updating your avatar.

Hope that helps and...I nearly forgot ... welcome to the Forum....enjoy your iPad and have fun.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can't use Safari on the iPad to upload an avatar picture directly from the iPad. The Choose File button won't work. If you have an image that you can point to with a URL, that options would probably work. The URL needs to end in the actual file name with extension.

Moving the picture to DropBox, sharing it, and then using that URL doesn't work either. It hides the file type so the the web interface won't accept it for download. At least it didn't when I tried it a month or so ago.

Note the file size limitations at the bottom of the dialog box.

Last edited:

Most reactions