What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi connected but won't connect to internet

zip255

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Col.bris? Why is this happening then only to ios6 devices , the problem never existed when I had iOS 5

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
zip255 said:
Col.bris? Why is this happening then only to ios6 devices , the problem never existed when I had iOS 5

It doesn't happen with all devices on iOS 6. I have 4 iPads, all on iOS 6 and none of them have ever had any problems connecting to the Internet over WiFi.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've discovered something very specific relative to this topic but don't know how to permanently resolve it.

I routinely connect to a specific public wifi that assigns IP addresses of 192.168.X.YYY. If the X is a 1, then I have no problems accessing the internet. If it is a 2 then I can connect to the wifi but cannot access the internet. I resolve the problem by renewing the lease until I finally get an address where the X=1.

This affects both of our iPads AND both of our iPhone 4S phones.

I doubt that I can convince anyone to change the settings on the router or upgrade the router so is there another solution?

With the advent of iOS 6 Apple requires the new IP 6 internet addressing to be enabled, not necessarily on the local network, but it must be for the internet side of the router. This has been standard in routers for a few years now, but older routers (or improperly set up ones) may need updating.

What you are seeing IP address wise suggests there are actually two networks (probably connected) with the same name. Each is serving out IP addresses, and which you get is purely a function of which router gets you first. That, or the administrator has two DHCP servers running. Either is a problem, the second worse than the first.

Anyway, the X=2 network is probably not setup to pass the IP6 address protocol, or some other routing issue.

There is nothing you can really do about it, other than what you are doing. Setting up a Static IP on a DHCP network can cause more problems that it solves if not done on both the router and device, and that would be the only way to force the X=1 IP address.

It won't hurt to mention your problem to whoever is in charge of the network. They must have some interest in keeping things working for all their users, and there are a lot of iOS users. All they can do is say no. As long you are not antagonistic about it you have nothing to lose.

zip255

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my iPad 3 and my iPhone 4S when I updated to iOS six I had issued I took them back to the Apple Store and Apple replaced with iOS 5 devices and my problem went away

janrey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this problem with an ipad 3 I purchased for Christmas. I found out that the problem was in the DNS settings on the ipad. For some reason the first DNS address was my router address even after forgetting the network and even after changing the DNS servers on my router to Dynamic. So I manually changed this to the correct DNS servers and this remains on each connection. No problems since. This only occurred on my home network and there has been no problem elsewhere.

jeamdor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a similar problem (I think) my iPad connects fine at home but drops connections in public. Also I have been trying to connect at my Toyota dealer. It has a password and when I put it in correctly the little wheel spins like it is going to connect! but never does. If I put the password in wrong it kicks me out immediately. I have tried forgetting that site and turning wifi off and back on and shutting down completely and nothing has worked. It is like I am locked out. I see people using their PCs - my iPhone wouldn't connect day either but did last time I was there. It shows a strong signal. Help!

Most reactions