What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have wifi but won't connect to Internet on new Ipad3

moonberry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with connecting to the Internet on my new ipad3...
I have restored it from my IPad through iTunes and besides my music not being downloaded which I will do manually, all seems okay..
My old iPad and my pc are connecting fine with the wifi service and Internet is great....the new iPad is showing the service providers number next to wifi in settings, but showing that it's searching for Internet and not connected.
I have powered off and switched the ipad3 back on....tried with rebooting the modem, but none of that's helped.
What I have noticed is that the IP Address on the iPad 1 and the IP Address on the iPad 3 are different...this is the same for the Subnet Mask too... There's also no Router, DNS or search domain numbers next to the IPad 3, where there are numbers for the iPad 1...
This is a bit upsetting....
This doesn't look like a problem with the provider.
Hope someone out there can help me please....
Thankyou

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moonberry said:
I'm having a problem with connecting to the Internet on my new ipad3...
I have restored it from my IPad through iTunes and besides my music not being downloaded which I will do manually, all seems okay..
My old iPad and my pc are connecting fine with the wifi service and Internet is great....the new iPad is showing the service providers number next to wifi in settings, but showing that it's searching for Internet and not connected.
I have powered off and switched the ipad3 back on....tried with rebooting the modem, but none of that's helped.
What I have noticed is that the IP Address on the iPad 1 and the IP Address on the iPad 3 are different...this is the same for the Subnet Mask too... There's also no Router, DNS or search domain numbers next to the IPad 3, where there are numbers for the iPad 1...
This is a bit upsetting....
This doesn't look like a problem with the provider.
Hope someone out there can help me please....
Thankyou

G'day moonberry, please accept that I am in no way an expert, very new to my iPad. But I am wondering why are you concerned with "service provider number, subnet mask" etc. what I mean is, when I set up my new iPad all I needed was to tell it the user name and password of my ISP. Maybe you should check with your ISP what the set up info is. Maybe that is all all that is required on the new iPad 3. I'm sure, I hope, someone else will step in with better advice if this does not work.
Regards, Andrew

Purplehaste

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OB said:
G'day moonberry, please accept that I am in no way an expert, very new to my iPad. But I am wondering why are you concerned with "service provider number, subnet mask" etc. what I mean is, when I set up my new iPad all I needed was to tell it the user name and password of my ISP. Maybe you should check with your ISP what the set up info is. Maybe that is all all that is required on the new iPad 3. I'm sure, I hope, someone else will step in with better advice if this does not work.
Regards, Andrew

i have the same problem but its allgood now i bring my ipad to apple store and they said my wifi chip is broken

Tips: try turn off and on the airplane mode and reset the network settings

iPad 3 

OP
M

moonberry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Andrew,
Thankyou for responding...
The password has been accepted and it's showing in settings that it's connected to the service provider on the left hand side...on the right hand side where it gives you options of different network providers, it's showing that it's searching for the Internet. I read on an Apple help column that I should tap on the arrow of the service provider that Ive connected to to check the next screen and that's when I noticed that my ipad1 and my iPad 3 had different settings for the same network...not sure how that can be?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moonberry said:
Hi Andrew,
Thankyou for responding...
The password has been accepted and it's showing in settings that it's connected to the service provider on the left hand side...on the right hand side where it gives you options of different network providers, it's showing that it's searching for the Internet. I read on an Apple help column that I should tap on the arrow of the service provider that Ive connected to to check the next screen and that's when I noticed that my ipad1 and my iPad 3 had different settings for the same network...not sure how that can be?

By "searching for the internet" I assume the clocking is next to "Choose Network". OK maybe 2 ways to skin a cat. Again go to General..WiFi and tap that blue arrow again. DON'T look at those scary numbers! Instead tap "Forget this Network". Then go back to WiFi and re-enter your ISP's required info just like you did in the good o'l days when you set up your previous iPad for Internet/WiFi. I think those dreaded "numbers" differ with a newer iPad. Hope that helps. If not have faith. An answer WILL be found!!
Regards, Andrew

OP
M

moonberry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By "searching for the internet" I assume the clocking is next to "Choose Network". OK maybe 2 ways to skin a cat. Again go to General..WiFi and tap that blue arrow again. DON'T look at those scary numbers! Instead tap "Forget this Network". Then go back to WiFi and re-enter your ISP's required info just like you did in the good o'l days when you set up your previous iPad for Internet/WiFi. I think those dreaded "numbers" differ with a newer iPad. Hope that helps. If not have faith. An answer WILL be found!!
Regards, Andrew

You have been fantastic! Thankyou Andrew...I'm online!! Happy me and thankyou so much!!

All the very best,
Michelle x

Most reactions

Latest posts