What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi connected but won't connect to internet

Ruthie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Quite often when I'm listening to my radio app it will stop working for no reason and all I get is the little circle thing rotating as it tries to reconnect. I then find if I try to open anything that needs a wifi connection it won't work, I.e. BBC iPlayer. I have to hard shut down the iPad and switch it back on and then I get connection back. This happens a lot and is really annoying. The wifi is definitely ok and if I go into Settings it says that wifi is connected.

Is this a common problem and if so are Apple doing anything to rectify it.

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I don't think it is a common problem. I have an iPad1, iPad2 and an iPad3. Have never had that issue on any of them.
We use our iPads on WiFi most of the time around the house to stream music with iHeart, Pandora, etc.
When you say

The wifi is definitely ok and if I go into Settings it says that wifi is connected.

Does that mean that you go in and visibly see the IP address that is assigned and it is not a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address?
When this happens, have you tried just switching off the WiFi and switching it back on?

OP
Ruthie

Ruthie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's a 192 IP address. This never used to happen on my iPad 1. I have tried switching off my router and it does resolve the situation for a while but it gets annoying keep losing connection when listening to the radio. If I use the radio app on my iPod this never happens.

Goavs18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in Kuwait and the internet here sucks so I have issues all of the time, I have had the same thing happen to me and one thing I have had to do is forget the network and reconnect to it, this worked for me. hope this helps.

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ruthie said:
It's a 192 IP address. This never used to happen on my iPad 1. I have tried switching off my router and it does resolve the situation for a while but it gets annoying keep losing connection when listening to the radio. If I use the radio app on my iPod this never happens.

No, I mean switching off the WiFi on the iPad and switching it back on.
Also, you don't need to wait for it to happen again to "Forget" the network. Do it now and reconnect and see if it stops the issue.

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ruthie said:
Quite often when I'm listening to my radio app it will stop working for no reason and all I get is the little circle thing rotating as it tries to reconnect. I then find if I try to open anything that needs a wifi connection it won't work, I.e. BBC iPlayer. I have to hard shut down the iPad and switch it back on and then I get connection back. This happens a lot and is really annoying. The wifi is definitely ok and if I go into Settings it says that wifi is connected.

This happens to me. I think it's the iPad- the only way I can resolve it is to shut the router on and off. Funny thing is I have two iPads and when this happened today, I didn't shut off my router and my other iPad was still connected!

I agree it's very annoying!

OP
Ruthie

Ruthie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one! It happened again today. I've tried everything, turning off the router, closing down the iPad and forgetting the network! It's so annoying.

bdauphin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to the new iPad and this forum. In the few days I've had my iPad I've been having problems with the Wifi. In my home my laptop and other devices connect fine with the Wifi, but the iPad drops its connection every one or two minutes. So every one or two minutes I have to "renew" or "refresh" the connection. It's a real pain, but that's life. I used the iPad at my workplace with no connection issue at all--and I have a friend whose iPhone 4s also continually drops the Wifi connection in my home.

My conclusion, thus far, is that this is an iPad/iPhone issue. Either they require a much stronger signal than other devices or just don't sync well with some routers or some routers' settings. I don't buy the idea that I'm just unlucky and it's just my iPad. There are too many reports about this issue circulating on the Web. I presume the fix will be to increase my Wifi data package, replace the router or both. I can also use 3G, but the 1 GB data package I have is way to limiting.

That's just my two cents.

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just don't sync well with some routers or some routers' settings

I think this is more the issue than the iPad itself. I have honestly never had an issue with any wireless router/AP though and I have 4 of them in my home. We currently have, at home, an iPad1, iPad2, iPad3 and 2 iPhones using the APs and none of them have issues.

bdauphin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I'm able to resolve my issue I'll report it here. I'm reluctant to mess with the router's settings for fear losing the otherwise good performance I'm getting with the other devices. I suppose the best solution would be to buy a new router, try it out and if that doesn't improve anything or makes things worse, I still have the original set up to fall back on.

One of those other well functioning devices, btw, is the Denon RCD-N7 which is a receiver which connects with Apple devices via AirPlay, the dock/charger port or USB (all options are there) and allows control of those devices' menus through the Denon player. It also streams Internet radio and if you live in the US, I don't :(, it automatically connects with Napster and Last. FM. I'm a very happy customer.

Back to the Wifi issue, my router is a D-Link DSL 2040u. What is yours?

pegleg319

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a newbie to this forum, and I am also having connection problems from about 10 mtrs away from my router, I have the i pad 3 & not really impressed.

MONGOOSE666

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had this issue and just cured it by changing the channel on my router by going in to my router settings and changing it to channel one and that's cured it had the problem for a couple of weeks now all is well good luck hopefully it will work for you

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MONGOOSE666 said:
I have had this issue and just cured it by changing the channel on my router by going in to my router settings and changing it to channel one and that's cured it had the problem for a couple of weeks now all is well good luck hopefully it will work for you

Dumb question- how do I change the channel on my router?

Totallylagit

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Log into the router to change settings. Typical router ip starts with 192.168.0.1. Type that in your browser and enter the login and password. There are probably lots of settings so be careful not to change too much. In there will be your channels

Most reactions

Latest posts