What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi/ Cellular Monitor Thoughts

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As I am still in learning curve mode with new Air 2, I installed 'Data Monitor' and 'My Data Mgr' to monitor my home wifi initially. (Both apps in free version mode.)

My question concerns what they are measuring, as it appears that the results, what they show each day or through the day, are different and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this?

While wifi monitoring is not really important, cellular will be so I would like to have some faith in what is being reported. Perhaps a different app would be more reliable? (BTW, I am on ios 8.1.1, if that make any difference)

TIA, Nick

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some cellular carriers have their own app where you can check your billing details and your data usage.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The carrier's app or website is the only reliable way to monitor your data, especially if you have more than one device on the same data plan. Most carrier's offer warnings when you approach your data limits (via email or SMS). Visit your account on their website and make sure those are set up the way you want.

Consider the iPad's data a good rough estimate, for that iPad's usage alone. Anytime you are pushing your data limit, check the carrier's stats. You should also hold in mind that the carrier's stats may be up to 24hrs behind, so leave yourself some room for error.

Anything that measures your home wi-fi should be considered diagnostic, or just informational. Unless you've got limits on the home data as well; in which case your ISP should have similar tools for monitoring and warning you about your data usage.

It's not so much that the data on your iPad is less accurate, as it is that you data provider could care less what your iPad says. It's what they measure that counts against your bill.

OP
NSquirrel

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
O.K. Thank you both for your comments above. Time to think about the next stage of my learning curve - cellular.

Nick

Most reactions

Latest posts