What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi away from home

Krystalcat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have always taken a laptop away on holiday with me so I could keep in touch with family and friends without the expense of phone calls. As it took up most of the hand luggage weight, I decided to get an iPad Mini as it's smaller and lighter. However, I've been away in this country for a couple on long weekends and, although the hotel had free wife, the Mini couldn't connect at all. My partners laptop could and so could my phone, but not the iPad Mini. So much for taking it abroad with me then, if it won't connect here.

What I'd like to know is whether this is normal or if there is something I can do to get it to connect. Can anyone help me please? Many thanks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have always taken a laptop away on holiday with me so I could keep in touch with family and friends without the expense of phone calls. As it took up most of the hand luggage weight, I decided to get an iPad Mini as it's smaller and lighter. However, I've been away in this country for a couple on long weekends and, although the hotel had free wife, the Mini couldn't connect at all. My partners laptop could and so could my phone, but not the iPad Mini. So much for taking it abroad with me then, if it won't connect here.

What I'd like to know is whether this is normal or if there is something I can do to get it to connect. Can anyone help me please? Many thanks.

Hello Krystalcat - not sure 'which' country you are referring to above; but I've had my iPad 2 for over 3 years (and along w/ my wife's newer iPad Mini), these are the two devices we 'carry on the road' (both are Wi-Fi only so we need to rely on our hotels having the service - nearly all now have Wi-Fi in the rooms, some on unprotected networks and others requiring a password).

SO, you should be able to connect w/ your device - check out this Apple Support Article for suggestions; also let us know if you have ever been able to use your Wi-Fi connection and where? - good luck. Dave :)

OP
K

Krystalcat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Krystalcat - not sure 'which' country you are referring to above; but I've had my iPad 2 for over 3 years (and along w/ my wife's newer iPad Mini), these are the two devices we 'carry on the road' (both are Wi-Fi only so we need to rely on our hotels having the service - nearly all now have Wi-Fi in the rooms, some on unprotected networks and others requiring a password).

SO, you should be able to connect w/ your device - check out this Apple Support Article for suggestions; also let us know if you have ever been able to use your Wi-Fi connection and where? - good luck. Dave :)

Sorry, Dave, I live in the UK. I stayed over the weekend at a Travelodge which had Wifi, but it wouldn't connect to it at all. I can use it at home or at my family and friends houses where I'm close to the router, although I've noticed if I move to the other end of the house, the signal strength drops one bar. I wonder if this is the problem, but I really don't know.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I live in Canada and am currently on vacation in England. My iPad is with me and I've had no trouble with WiFi connections in any country I've visited. While on this trip I used my MacBook, iPad and iPhone on Wifi with no problems.
Have you tried resetting your network connections? To do so, go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. You won't lose any data by doing this but will have to re enter any passwords that are normally remembered.

OP
K

Krystalcat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live in Canada and am currently on vacation in England. My iPad is with me and I've had no trouble with WiFi connections in any country I've visited. While on this trip I used my MacBook, iPad and iPhone on Wifi with no problems.
Have you tried resetting your network connections? To do so, go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. You won't lose any data by doing this but will have to re enter any passwords that are normally remembered.

Yes, I have already done that, but it didn't work. I think I need to visit an Apple Store and see id they can help at all.

IOS Expert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try doing a reset by keeping power and home button pressed until turns off
Then run it on

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, I have already done that, but it didn't work. I think I need to visit an Apple Store and see id they can help at all.

Sorry about your continued problem - I'm assuming you looked @ the link provided in my post and have tried to 'Reset' the iPad; and also assuming that you're not dealing w/ a password protected network, or if so have tried to enter the correct passcode? Dave :)

OP
K

Krystalcat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry about your continued problem - I'm assuming you looked @ the link provided in my post and have tried to 'Reset' the iPad; and also assuming that you're not dealing w/ a password protected network, or if so have tried to enter the correct passcode? Dave :)

Yes, Dave. I have tried the Reset and you're right to assume I'm not dealing with a password protected network. xx

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, Dave. I have tried the Reset and you're right to assume I'm not dealing with a password protected network. xx

Well, I getting 'stumped' - one other question, was your problem on your trip only w/ Wi-Fi in your hotel or could you connect elsewhere (e.g. Wi-Fi hotspot)? If the former, my only other suggestion would to have the IT people reset the router supplying your room (or you could check your iPad in the lobby of the hotel) - this has been an issue on several of our trips. Dave :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know....I purchased an iPad mini (1st gen) and noticed that my mini wasn't picking up my wifi compared to my iPad 2 or my iphone 5. I thought it might be the location in my house, but also noticed it on the second level of my home. Since...I have given it to my mom and along with her having it she has updated it to the most current iOS and has not mentioned any signal drop. Soo....I'm not sure if this is the case for you...I didn't see that you had mentioned what version you were running, however, if it is current than I'd take it to Apple and have them take a look.

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds like the same thing I run into now and then. The ipad will or can connect to public wifi but won't bring up the welcome screen where you agree with the terms of service. This usually fixes itself the next day or two. I have yet to troubleshoot this. When this happens, it happens at several different locations the same time. Maybe I'm just not giving it enough time, but it seems like after 5 or 10 minutes it should connect if it's going to.

Most reactions

Latest posts