What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wi-Fi Reception: mine is not good, how's yours?

didisinned

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If update doesn't fix it, bring it to apple store for an exchange. You might have a dud :/

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The App causing the problem was "The Weather Channel"
This seems to be a really quirky app. For several days when I would tap the icon, the splash screen would come on, but after a minute or so, it would just go back to the main screen. The all of a sudden, for no good reason, it just started working again. I guess I could ask for my money back. Oh yeah, it was free!

EDIT: And back on topic, the update really helped my connection. I didn't think I had a WiFi problem before, but now I can use "N" at much faster speeds.

Last edited:

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have strong wifi connections. I'm on the new uverse motorola unit. I can access my wifi from the back yard, garage, and everywhere in the house.

muleman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Updated mine and still only get one bar in a room about 50 feet from router. But get at least 3 bars om iPhone in same spot.

Drag Bunt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Updated mine and still only get one bar in a room about 50 feet from router. But get at least 3 bars om iPhone in same spot.

If you haven't updated your iPhone software, your signal strength bars are overstated, per Apple's letter of July 2nd:

Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong.

Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength....

We will issue a free software update within a few weeks that incorporates the corrected formula. Since this mistake has been present since the original iPhone, this software update will also be available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If you haven't updated your iPhone software, your signal strength bars are overstated, per Apple's letter of July 2nd:

Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong.

Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength....

We will issue a free software update within a few weeks that incorporates the corrected formula. Since this mistake has been present since the original iPhone, this software update will also be available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.

My reply to Apple: Ballz!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wifi fix

New update fixed mine

What specific problem did it fix?

Before I upgraded the iPad I would get constant reconnection on on my netgear n router. In addition Macdonalds free wifi was slow.

Since the update I no longer have any issues with my home system full bars as well as performance is the same and in some cases better than the iPhone 3 gs (2) and my Mac book. At Macdonalds connection is faster and stable and no longer hanging when surfing.
At work i could not connect to the corporate network because it would hang while accessing web sites. That has been fixed but in saying that it is not as fast as I would like but that is a company IT issue not the ipad

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

My reply to Apple: Ballz!

The free update did correct the bars and gives more accurate connection information.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The one that I use gets the Connecting message twice in a row about once a day when I am in the room next to the one with the Wireless Router. I am still using the WEP encryption on it.

Updated to 3.2.1 earlier today and am waiting to see if it makes a difference.

dearbee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Updated to 3.2.1 and also changed from wep to wpa2. Running perfectly so far!

I also turned back on the auto-brightness.

Hooray!

Most reactions

Latest posts