What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Would People Get 3G When You...

shAdOwXPR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can get the wifi and just use Skype, their rates are super cheap!

I use skype but you need 3G on the road to be able to use it. If you are going to use your iPad at home then the 3G is unnecessary, but if you are using it on the go 3G is a must.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
3G on the iPad is not for making calls, it's to give the iPad a connection via the 3G cell network. You can't get wifi everywhere, so the 3G on the iPad is to give you an internet connection when no wifi is available.

shAdOwXPR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Btw, if you try using Skype on 3G, they want to charge you for using it after a free period of 30 days.

a jailbreak program called "3G Unrestriactor" makes the OS believe you are in wifi when you really are in 3G.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I use skype but you need 3G on the road to be able to use it. If you are going to use your iPad at home then the 3G is unnecessary, but if you are using it on the go 3G is a must.

I think that at the end of the summer Skype is going to start charging for using it over 3G.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

this whole topic makes no sense. why get 3G when you can use skype? The two have nothing to do with each other.

The reason for getting 3g is so that I can get internet service when I'm out and about, while you will have to go in search of an open wifi hotspot with the wifi only iPad.

Also the main reason I personally got the 3G version is for the GPS. The accuracy of the GPS is well worth the $100+ for getting a 3G version. It gets within 3 feet of accuracy compared to my $500 Garmin handheld GPS.

FahQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just use the miWi on my iPhone if I need an Internet connection where there isn't a hotspot. Not as fast but saves me loads of money in the long run

My .02

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But if you have a 3G cellphone and can wi-fi tether then there is no need for a 3G version

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But if you have a 3G cellphone and can wi-fi tether then there is no need for a 3G version

GPS
worth the price for 3g version.

$130 for GPS is worth it? There isn't even a functional offline GPS program ported to the ipad yet. Copilot is absolute garbage at this point. And either way, if you have a phone that has GPS functionality and bluetooth, you can use it as an external bluetooth GPS receiver with the Cydia application BTStack GPS. I use my windows mobile phone as external GPS for my iPad, and it works flawlessly.

Most reactions

Latest posts