What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why would I want to upgrade to 4.2.1?

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am one of those, that the Upgrade was a MUST. I am in Israel, and needed the new Hebrew Keyboard.
By the way they couldn't sale it here since Hebrew was nit included. Starting coming Jan of 2011 , It will start here in Israel as well.
There some minor bugs because Hebrew is being writen from Right to left, But other then that, the 4.2.1 is running OK ( I did have problems in the update)

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been through a lot of upgrades of different devices. Blackberry, Droid, and now iPad. I have never seen any update appear to get a massive thumbs up in a Forum. Not in Crackberrry. Not in the Droid Forums.

And then there are the people who want to go back to the previous OS. I wonder 2 or 3 updates later what ever happened to those people? What happened was acceptance.

Updates go through phases. First there is anticipation of the arrival. Second is the joy of the arrival of the update. Third stage, and that's where we are here is the complaining stage. In two months time nobody will be complaining anymore because they will all be in the fourth stage, acceptance.

This is a great update. Probably the best I've ever seen on any of my other devices. I'm very pleased with it.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the majority of people on this forum are not the typical user. If we have issues, you can bet the average has more. The new update has only confused and frustrated most of the other users I know. The multitasking alone is just causing a mess. They can't understand what the bar is for, where the apps went, if they are still running or not, or even of they are closed when they close them. I'm baffled as to why Apple went this route.

Actually this is dead wrong. For most Non-Power users they don't know and barely care that iOS has "multitasking." This is how it should be. Think of that user, they don't know to double tap the Home button and they never see the Apps that have stored state to worry about. Once the iPad needs to free up the tiny amount of resources that are used, it shuts the oldest/least used App(s) automatically. As far as the user is concerned the iPad works exactly as it did before: open an App, click Home to close it and open another App. For people who don't know or care about Multitasking there is no difference. It just works. That is the beauty of this design.

Since the vast majority of Apps don't really "run" in the background, it is easier and more sensible to just let the OS take care of handling them.

If a person takes the time to learn about the new features, they are no longer this so called low tech user. When that happens they can learn to take advantage of the new features, or post about how confused they are and get help.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the majority of people on this forum are not the typical user. If we have issues, you can bet the average has more. The new update has only confused and frustrated most of the other users I know. The multitasking alone is just causing a mess. They can't understand what the bar is for, where the apps went, if they are still running or not, or even of they are closed when they close them. I'm baffled as to why Apple went this route.

Actually this is dead wrong. For most Non-Power users they don't know and barely care that iOS has "multitasking." This is how it should be. Think of that user, they don't know to double tap the Home button and they never see the Apps that have stored state to worry about. Once the iPad needs to free up the tiny amount of resources that are used, it shuts the oldest/least used App(s) automatically. As far as the user is concerned the iPad works exactly as it did before: open an App, click Home to close it and open another App. For people who don't know or care about Multitasking there is no difference. It just works. That is the beauty of this design.

Since the vast majority of Apps don't really "run" in the background, it is easier and more sensible to just let the OS take care of handling them.

If a person takes the time to learn about the new features, they are no longer this so called low tech user. When that happens they can learn to take advantage of the new features, or post about how confused they are and get help.

Great Post! I totally get it and this was made simple so a typical user such as myself understood.

RoadPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
newfmp3, you contradict yourself in your own post. First you say the concept of multitasking and the taskbar is overwhelming for most people, but then immediately turn around and say it needs more ram, more buttons, and "a slew of things more". If the former is overwhelming, adding a bunch more crap will only worsen the problem for those folks who can't seem to figure out how to get their VCR to stop blinking "12:00".

If you want more RAM, more buttons, and "a slew of things more", get a laptop.

And, quite frankly, I've never seen an iPad commercial or ad that has marketed it as a tablet (presuming you were refrerring to tablet computers that are full featured computers). This isn't a desktop or notebook replacement, IMHO.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Updates go through phases. First there is anticipation of the arrival. Second is the joy of the arrival of the update. Third stage, and that's where we are here is the complaining stage. In two months time nobody will be complaining anymore because they will all be in the fourth stage, acceptance.
Or like the stages of truth, as described by Schopenhauer :):

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

Michael

OP
C

caver3d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, okay you guys win!

Sheesh! I give up. And actually that is what I like about this forum. No one getting nasty with you, but willing to urge you on and even offer help when needed. Classy forum.

So you shamed me and talked me into it. I went ahead, took a deep breath and upgraded to 4.2.1. The only issue was that after iTunes said it had completed the process, the screen of my iPad only showed the white apple in the center (black background) and a white progress bar that covered about two-thirds of the total. It stayed frozen like that. A moment of panic. I reset the iPad (paper clip into the hole in the top). And lo and behold I now have 4.2.1. So far, everything is working and I have all the features

We'll see how it goes over time. At least I know you gjys have my back.

Thanks.

caver3d

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Totally agree wrecklass. So many users have poorly informed preconceptions about how multitasking should work that they completely fail to give the iPad implementation a reasonable chance to shine. Apples implementation is really very good from a technicians perspective... (mine at least)

drpep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please tell us you were joking about putting a paper clip into the hole on top of your iPad to reset it as that hole is the microphone.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please tell us you were joking about putting a paper clip into the hole on top of your iPad to reset it as that hole is the microphone.

I had no idea if that was correct or not, I did think if there is a reset then doing that in the middle of an update is about the worst thing you could do. Thank God it was a microphone, hope he didn't break that.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thank you! I read that and was like, wtf???? This is not Windows Mobile! lol

Most reactions