What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why would apple allow down graded ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just read (on a jb website) apple is allowing you to down grade to 6.0 - 6.2. Sorry if this was posted somewhere already. I wonder why they are allowing this for a short period of time, seems odd??

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just read (on a jb website) apple is allowing you to down grade to 6.0 - 6.2. Sorry if this was posted somewhere already. I wonder why they are allowing this for a short period of time, seems odd??

They're not allowing any downgrading. The info you saw is not true.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For a brief [shining] moment, yes, the window was open for people to load certain earlier versions of iOS 6. However, the opportunity/window was gone within 4 - 6 hours after it was there. No one knows WHY Apple opened the window - but a lot of people (at least on reddit) were able to get their iDevices downloaded to that iOS. So, hurray for them.

But - its over now and still a mystery as to why it occurred. Chalk it up to "one of those things"... :)

Marilyn

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For a brief [shining] moment, yes, the window was open for people to load certain earlier versions of iOS 6. However, the opportunity/window was gone within 4 - 6 hours after it was there. No one knows WHY Apple opened the window - but a lot of people (at least on reddit) were able to get their iDevices downloaded to that iOS. So, hurray for them.

But - its over now and still a mystery as to why it occurred. Chalk it up to "one of those things"... :)

Marilyn

You are always in the "know"! :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I do try to keep up with the latest ... and to keep my ears to the ground. :D

I asked my sister if she wanted to downgrade her Mini (she likes the f.lux tweak on her jail broke iPhone - very nice for at night viewing). But - she couldn't be bothered to come over to mine for me to use the window. Lost her chance [and pretty quickly at that!].

Still - from what I see on reddit (and other places) - a LOT of people were able to take advantage of this. Yay for them! :)

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can vouch for the opening. Basically that period was during the restarting of the software potion of the server, allowing all iOS to be installed for a brief moment as @Mickey330 said. I got my mother's 5 down to 6.1.2 and a few other devices to 6.1 and 6.1.2 with a simple shift restore.

Would another period like this occur again? More than likely not considering how Apple always learns from security issues on all fronts, not just their devices, so another cyber attack would more than likely be thwarted.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No need to be rude, HybridDeathcore.

Gresh14 asked a question and was correct in his understanding. There WAS a brief moment when members could downgrade their iOS to ones previously closed [by Apple].

As this conversation (and the event) is over - I'll go ahead and close the thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Marilyn

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I said WAS not IS. You are not probably American, which explains why you are having a hard time wit
your English grammar

That is uncalled for, Hybrid! Please. Take a moment to review the rules and we trust that you post with RESPECT for future comments!

Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad MINI using iPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts