What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why used iPads so expensive on auction sites?

1611mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On auctions sites, Used iPads are selling for the same, or more than, the price of new.... Why? It's nuts! (I'm referring to "plain vanilla" iPads.. .not jailbroken with apps or with accessories)

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because people are greedy!

There is an old saying that goes, "You can want in one hand and "poop" in the other hand then see which one fills up first!"

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, if your local Apple store and Best Buy are sold out and you don't want to wait several weeks to have one shipped from Shenzhen and you just gotta have one right now...

This reminds me of a quote from P.T. Barnum....

OP
1611mac

1611mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, if your local Apple store and Best Buy are sold out and you don't want to wait several weeks to have one shipped from Shenzhen and you just gotta have one right now...

I must be in outer space.... living in the SW colorado high desert I have to buy everything mail order so this "instant gratification" is a mystery to me.

I just went to the apple store and placed one each of each of the six model in the cart. For all models shipping was "7 to 10 days" (though there is a limit of 2 iPads per customer.)

Now.. If I buy from an auction site it's going to take maybe just a few days shorter to get a USED iPad.... ???? this is insanity!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I must be in outer space.... living in the SW colorado high desert I have to buy everything mail order so this "instant gratification" is a mystery to me.

I just went to the apple store and placed one each of each of the six model in the cart. For all models shipping was "7 to 10 days" (though there is a limit of 2 iPads per customer.)

Now.. If I buy from an auction site it's going to take maybe just a few days shorter to get a USED iPad.... ???? this is insanity!

7 to 10 days shipping means that once it is shipped it will take 7 to 10 days to get to you from china....doesn't mean you will have it next week. Usually takes a few weeks to ship out.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because the demands are high for iPad and the supply is low. IPad is yet to be launch here in Manila (I got mine from the states), but if you are of those eager ones you could get one for a much higher price. A 32g wifi iPad is fetching up to 800$ here.

OP
1611mac

1611mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
7 to 10 days shipping means that once it is shipped it will take 7 to 10 days to get to you from china....doesn't mean you will have it next week. Usually takes a few weeks to ship out.

The site/cart says specifically "Ships in 7-10 days." - so is the Apple cart system wrong?

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remember the X-Box? Remember what they were selling for on E-Bay for about the first 3 months they were out. Nothing more than supply and demand.

I would bet you'll see the same thing about 3 weeks before Christmas.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The site/cart says specifically "Ships in 7-10 days." - so is the Apple cart system wrong?
Go like this:
man-holding-breath2.jpg

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's called greed brother..
b575a731.png

These ebayers flock to buy something that's new and they hear there will be a shortage, just like when the ps2 and ps3 came out, at first hard to get, especially with ps2's. They would sell for like 2000 bucks or more.. I actually confess to doing it when the WII came out, I bought for like 300 and sold for 600, I made some profit but felt bad after, it was around Christmas..

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's just supply and demand - people are willing to pay more to get one more quickly. Lots of those on eBay aren't used, anyway - they were bought specifically to re-sell on eBay.

Speaking of delayed gratification: I nearly gave my nephew an aneurysm a while back. I told him I could sell my old Sony VAIO and promise to give him my iPad when I upgrade to the next one, or give him the Sony now and sell the iPad when the time comes. The kid agonized for over a week, but decided he'd wait for the iPad.

Most reactions