What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why the 30 pin?

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why does the iPad 2 use a 30 pin connector? The entire world is on mini USB or micro USB. Why does such a green company force their customers to buy and use a proprietary connector? They don't need 30 pin to sync a device. Has there ever been a need for the additional connections?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two reasons.

1) Because Apple likes proprietary things don't ya know :p

2) if you check the wiring the 30 pin port actually allows the iPad a greater range of output on one port. For example it can be a USB port or an HDMI port depending on the adaptor. A straight USB port could not do that, it doesn't have the throughput.

Lastly any tech company who says they are green I'd lying to your face and they know it. There is no such thing as a green computer company. It's not just Apple who does it. For one they rarely factor in the disposal of old devises.

OP
zipur

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I get it now. Thanks

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just about every tablet is doing it now. the usb 2.0 specs only allow for 5v 1A for a total of 5watts. the newer tablets require more for charging at full speed 10watts for the ipad. i think the xoom is set for 18watts and charges in 3-4 hours (sorry i took my xoom back a week ago so memory's kinda foggy on that detail).

the only recent tablet that charges via microusb (that i can think of) is the nook color, but it has a special cable to allow for full speed charging.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"On you OP you asked why the 30 pin Connector." I get it now. Thanks

As Dorje stated: " Because Apple likes proprietary things don't ya know"

Now isn't it interesting how many look at proprietary as negative... when in actuality it is one of the fundamentals that enables Apple equipment and software work so well.

But You ask why 30 pins ... and I say why not? By using that 30 pin port (that is common to all of Apple's mobile devices) Apple can address many more capabilities with an add-on adapter

With Intel now bringing out all of the specifications for both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt implementation it will be interesting to see how the high speed connections evolve.

Also if you look at the fact that Macbook Pro already has Thunderbolt implemented, I suspect you will find that Apple will be using Thunderbolt as the interconnect between all of its hardware. Why bother with slow USB when High speed Thunderbolt is so much faster? I wouldn't be surprised if the A5 soc didn't have some unannounced goodies inside ... wait til iOS5 arrives.

Check out John Gruber's first two topics on today's Daring Fireball;)

Last edited:

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to believe that the IPad 2 30-pin was thunderbolt capable, but I highly doubt it. For the same reasons that the old FireWire to 30 cables don't really work anyone. Then again Apple could sneak in some kind of adapter.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has two agendas:

Make money.
Make products that make money.
Make Money.

When you have ur own unique cable, you can't help but make money.

Their second agenda is...

I think you can fill in the blank.

Most reactions