What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30 pin standard connector and new ports

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ground waves are vibrating about a whole new workflow scheme in movie editing and production. Somewhere in the middle of this is the patent that just surfaced that includes daisy chaining via a 30 pin standard connector with Thunderbolt technology concepts. Apple has been known to include new hardware in products that are activated with later release of major software upgrades. Multitasking, file management were examples in iPad last year.

Is it just possible that the circuits are already in place in iPad2 and the next major iOS release will activate new data transfer speed upgrades with the simple addition of a new connector adapter. This could revolutionize data transfer with one port from iPad to the many ports in legacy usage that everyone still wants to be able to use. ???

OP
M

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
snip

Is it just possible that the circuits are already in place in iPad2 and the next major iOS release will activate new data transfer speed upgrades with the simple addition of a new connector adapter. This could revolutionize data transfer with one port from iPad to the many ports in legacy usage that everyone still wants to be able to use. ???

I just finished watching a video clip on the Pre-NAB discussion panel comments. I'll find the link and post it. But, it became apparent to me that the idea of thunderbolt wasn't to interface all the legacy items with other competitive devices ... it is to interface new Apple high performance laptops ... i.e. MBP which already has Thunderbolt. "AIR" has mini display port also... perhaps it is Thunderbolt ready also... who knows.

Then the iPad2 becomes a multitouch device for inputting to other more professional editing software on other Apple computers. High speed data transfer is the game. Wow.

I saw another idea ... that of watching live TV like streaming media on the iPad2 instead of watching standard TV. That way it is more individualistic. Maybe the future is watch what each person wants instead of being forced to watch a group showing. One person on the panel already cut the cable to TV. Interesting.

Last edited:

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if the pin configuration is correct for the iPad 2. Certainly the tear downs didn't find thing odd in the control chips for it. I think thats part of the reason that anonymous apple employe said the iPad 3 would be the real "wow" device.

The rewiring to handle Thunderbolt (and adators to USD 3) would indeed be wow if it sports playing as an external monitor and multi-touch input. However for that we need Lion, and likely they need Lion consumer tested before going the next step. iPad 3 next year... Hold on to your butts. :D

OP
M

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if the pin configuration is correct for the iPad 2. Certainly the tear downs didn't find thing odd in the control chips for it. I think that's part of the reason that anonymous apple employe said the iPad 3 would be the real "wow" device.

The rewiring to handle Thunderbolt (and adators to USD 3) would indeed be wow if it sports playing as an external monitor and multi-touch input. However for that we need Lion, and likely they need Lion consumer tested before going the next step. iPad 3 next year... Hold on to your butts. :D

Maybe this year's iPad3 ... is an iPad2 with major software improvements. The hardware is fixed for a while. If Apple can accomplish high speed data tranfer of larger files via Thunderbolt (just potentially add a smart connector adapter to millions of new iPad2s) to MBP's then the push of iPad2's into enterprise operations really takes hold. Apple then sells two products, and with Lion coming onto MBP's with nice iOS interfacing ... seamless integration become reality. Wow

Most reactions