What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why no Verizon iPhone is a good thing

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wrong on several accounts.

How was I wrong? I said that Apple insistence on being tied into one provider only hurts the consumer and Apples sales figures. Even I remember there being more than one GSM carrier in the US!

The relationship, for whatever reason it exists, hurts any consumer who wishes to have an iPhone in the US. Thats all there is to it.

Either way, the lack of a verizon iPhone has no impact on wider competition between handset makers globally. I just have sympathy for those in the US for still having to endure the dark ages of a single carrier, as we did in the UK until about 18 moths ago..

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They do? So you can just go in and purchase an iPhone and its already JB? Why would they do that? Ipads too?

Unlocked is slightly different to being jail broken; but anyhow....

Rather ironically, the US, the home of freedom, capitalism and consumerism is one of the few countries on the planet where the consumer gets utterly shafted due to apples insistence on tying in with only one network provider.

I could walk into any Apple Store in the UK and buy an iPhone - unlocked, and put any carriers SIM into it I want - and in the vast majority of cases that is a far cheaper option for most users than having a contract which 'subsidises' the handset.

As a point - All ipads are unlocked, but for whatever reason US consumers have very little choice of supporting carriers. But in the UK I can pick and choose (and change at will) between anyone of 4 different networks.

With regards to the article referred to in the original post though; it's a load of rubbish. Reason? The article is entirely US-centric. If the US was the only country in the world with mobile phones it might have a point, but it's not. No handset maker produces a handset range, as far as I know, *just* to sell in the US - competition will always be there simply because some people just want something different to an iPhone - for whatever reason.

The only two things Apples continual relationship with AT&T does is hurt the American consumer, and Apples sales figures. Any suggestion that this benefits the consumer is nonsense.

It also helps that in the UK there is only one radio standard for cell phone communications....GSM.....in the US we have GSM, CDMA, and PCM......iPhone is GSM, so you can only use AT&T or T-Mobile.

PhotoJim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.photojim.ca
It also helps that in the UK there is only one radio standard for cell phone communications....GSM.....in the US we have GSM, CDMA, and PCM......iPhone is GSM, so you can only use AT&T or T-Mobile.

This was true in Canada, up until last year. Bell and Telus migrated from CDMA to 3G GSM in November, 2009 (their CDMA networks remain running but will be shut down once customers are migrated in a few years). SaskTel in Saskatchewan migrated similarly in August, 2010. MTS in Manitoba is migrating later this year. TBayTel has already migrated. There may be one or two very tiny regional carriers still remaining.

One tiny new carrier with spectrum in the 1700 MHz band has elected to use CDMA (for really peculiar reasons; why would you want to embrace a dead-end technology on a new network when you could use 3G GSM and have roaming capability worldwide?), but the other two that have launched on that band are using 3G GSM.

Fido was the first GSM network in Canada (1900 MHz); Rogers converted to 850/1900 MHz GSM in about 2002 and bought Fido a few years later. Some coverage is still 2G, but much is 3G.

So, in a few months, all Canadian networks except for one unimportant one will be 2G or 3G GSM No wonder Fido sells unlocked iPhones here! If a future iPhone supports 3G 1700 MHz, all carriers but one will be able to use iPhones here.

The US, for whatever reason, is different. I understand that it would be a lot more work to convert a huge network like Verizon's to 3G GSM, but if Verizon did, it would have a lot more choices for phones and Apple would surely end the exclusive arrangement with AT&T. If T-Mobile deployed 3G service at 1900 MHz (it's currently 2G-only on that band), the same might happen.

Nowhere else on Earth is this is an issue.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is curious how many Americans don't see the lack of international roaming to be an issue on non-GSM networks. Carriers in the UK would get laughed at now if they even tried to offer a less-than tri-band handset, let alone a system utterly incompatable with the rest of the planet. I spent two and a half months in the US, and while I bought a cheap $20 PAYG US handset for 'in country' comms and use international phone cards with, I entirely took for granted that my UK handset would work as soon as I landed in the states and switched it on.

I wonder if Verizon, Virgin, etc customers are shocked when they visit europe and their handsets are useless?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is curious how many Americans don't see the lack of international roaming to be an issue on non-GSM networks. Carriers in the UK would get laughed at now if they even tried to offer a less-than tri-band handset, let alone a system utterly incompatable with the rest of the planet. I spent two and a half months in the US, and while I bought a cheap $20 PAYG US handset for 'in country' comms and use international phone cards with, I entirely took for granted that my UK handset would work as soon as I landed in the states and switched it on.

I wonder if Verizon, Virgin, etc customers are shocked when they visit europe and their handsets are useless?

Since they don't provide service to any country beyond us I don't think they care.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPoison

Just to clear things up ~ I didn't post that ^^
;)

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most international travellers know that europe does not dictate what types of cell phones are used, nor does the U.S.

big_daddy_mpd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My new Droid X (Verizon) and its 3G Hotspot, I am 1000% sure outperforms ANY 3G iPad! Plus, I have MOST, if not ALL the apps that run on my iPad, however, I've even found that with the Droid X screen being extra large, I STILL prefer using MOST large screen apps on my iPad. I agree that the Droid X, and an iPad are just the best combination EVER!

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just read there will be a Verizon Iphone early next year!!!!

Babydoll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can my husbands Droid be used instead of buying the Verizon Pad with their WiFi bundle? I am SO new to all of this & I hope someone can anser this ?.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can my husbands Droid be used instead of buying the Verizon Pad with their WiFi bundle? I am SO new to all of this & I hope someone can anser this ?.

Yes, the iPad verizon is selling is the wifi and it's bundled with the mifi device they've had for a couple years now. Nothing special about it...only thing special is that they are selling an apple product which means iPhone is soon.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The latest report is that the Verizon iPhone 4 will be released in March, and if so, the dual mode iPad will be released in April.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The latest report is that the Verizon iPhone 4 will be released in March, and if so, the dual mode iPad will be released in April.

Yeah well I could make a latest report doesn't make it anything more than speculation. There has been no announcement of an official Verizon iPhone so until Steve is on stage in a black turtleneck and blue jeans I don't believe it.

Most reactions

Latest posts