What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why no one can match the iPad price

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love the direction apple has taken on the tablet market. They have come a long way to becoming accessible to everyone, and as the company continues to dominate I think we can expect their prices to become even more competitive in the pc dominated marketplace

OP
freebirdforever

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Rim sucks. they are so far behind in everything, not just tablets, and even if they get android apps to run on the playbook, android apps are total garbage anyways.

JPM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.productforum.info
Rim sucks. they are so far behind in everything, not just tablets, and even if they get android apps to run on the playbook, android apps are total garbage anyways.

Have you actually looked at any articles detailing what the Playbook will offer. I am as big an Apple fan as anyone, but open your eyes. RIM have done well, and if they continue the way they have started with app development (and rumours of android compatibility) do you really still think they are 'so far behind'? I agree they are a little behind the pace in smartphones, but the QNX OS looks superb in every way.

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
800$ entry level is very different than a 500 or even 350$ entry level. And it matters.

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
800$ entry level is very different than a 500 or even 350$ entry level. And it matters.
entry level for android starts far below $350. some even under $100, but you get what you pay for.

sum of parts for both the xoom and ipad 32GB 3g(original) were compared and they're pretty much the same price to build.

OP
freebirdforever

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
madsquabbles said:
i dunno, xoom $799.

ipad 32gb 3G (not 4) - $729 + hdmi $39.99 + camera conn. $29.99

seem about equal to me.

an i know you'll come back with something very intelligent like "huh-uh - it sucks it sucks it sucks - you can't put a price on suckage!!!!"

All right, here goes:

First off, I OWN a Xoom. So do not tell me my feelings on something or how you "know" I will post. Because you don't.

It has been well documented here that I think the xoom is a nice tablet, albeit with flaws that make it sub par. First, the price. Second, lack of apps right now. Third, the amount of rooting romming hacking and tweaking the device needs to function properly. Im sorry, I own a computer business and fix OTHER peoples machines on a daily basis as a side job. What makes you think I then want to sit down with my own tablet and do a boat load of work?

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All right, here goes:

First off, I OWN a Xoom. So do not tell me my feelings on something or how you "know" I will post. Because you don't.

It has been well documented here that I think the xoom is a nice tablet, albeit with flaws that make it sub par. First, the price. Second, lack of apps right now. Third, the amount of rooting romming hacking and tweaking the device needs to function properly. Im sorry, I own a computer business and fix OTHER peoples machines on a daily basis as a side job. What makes you think I then want to sit down with my own tablet and do a boat load of work?
i do the same on the side. and i enjoy tweaking devices. i bought my viewsonic gtablet for the sole reason of working on it to get it to run better, same with the nook color, i took my galaxy tablet back b/c the dev's had very little support for the sprint version (that and the fact i couldn't find a way to permently turn off the nav lights). if it weren't for the screen i'd have kept the gtablet. i even considered replacing the screen but at the time no one found one that fit perfectly. this is what i enjoy - if i'm not tweaking something i get bored.

i love my ipad too. one part is because i don't tweak it much, so no down time when i screw up something. it's a great high quality device that i could see myself using for years - i'm still debating on whether to get the ipad2 today.

now i wouldn't recommend an android tablet to anyone who doesn't know what they're getting in to. no gpu acc ui - so no smooth scrolling, app support is severely lacking but can change if the market shifts, updates from your vendor may or may not come and when they come is up in the air, it takes a certain type of user to enjoy android and i more often recommend and ipad over android to the people who ask.

but this post was about making a device at equal costs, not how much you love/hate an os. i just pointed out the facts that so many seem to overlook. yeah, it does hurt moto that xoom doesn't have a $500 tablet, but that may change when the wifi version comes out. or one of the other vendors may come out with something as good or better - asus has some nice looking tablets coming out that i've been eyeballing.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In an article today, it was mentioned that Amazon was trying to compete more with Apple. It was surmised that Amazon could offer some converts by selling Kindles at cost or less in order to get more sales of books. It also said that if Amazon decides to build a kindle with Honeycomb OS, all the other tablet makers should just fold their tents and go home.

The Xoom is not selling. People are not interested and Moto is going to have to back down production. Not a good sign, especially with the brisk sales of the iPad 2. There are over 100 tablet models and Apple holds a 90% share of the market with the iPad. No other tablet has more than 3% of market. I am very happy that Apple is doing well, but I also would like to see a better effort from the other manufacturers. It is fun to see the opposition stumble, but there comes a time when it is going to hurt Apple's incentive to innovate.

Most reactions

Latest posts